Window Security Film

I'd just dropped off to sleep last night when I heard the Saab's alarm go off... some thug had decided to smash the drivers' side front window and then scarpered. Nothing taken. Another example of pressurising the council to allowing a wall to be built, meanwhile how many more smashed windows am I going to have to deal with...

S'anyway how effective are these security window film gubbins, then? Is it a case that the window is smashed but at least you don't have a car interior full of glass?

Reply to
DervMan

The window gets smashed but it holds together and it's more difficult to get access to the interior of the car. Where the f*ck have you moved to?

Reply to
Doki

The glass will shatter but the plastic film will hold it in place to stop the little toe rag from getting in. Like all these things they just buy a bit of time if someone is trying to get into your car it will fail eventually.

Reply to
Depresion

I don't know, but I'd move somewhere less pikey if I were him.

Reply to
SteveH

Once the local smackheads know it's difficult they will just screwdriver the locks instead. It depends if it's a genuine attempt or you have upset a few people. The film over the glass does make it tougher so the usual piece of sparkplug they use will have no effect, they will need to carry a brick or bar and give the window a battering. Get a camera fitted watching the car and a light with a PIR. I would be tempted to wait by the car to test how effective the film is on a head. It sounds quite rough, are you in Liverpool by any chance?

Reply to
simon

Somewhere more pikey than the last place.

Reply to
DervMan

That's what I thought. Getting into the vehicle doesn't seem to be the issue here, causing damage is.

Reply to
DervMan

Don't see how, the last time this happened it happened all over the part of York where we live. Guess somebody didn't get some or whatever and took it out on half of the cars on their way home.

We're in York, heh. There's an alleyway that the council *refuse* to block off, leading right by our flats.

Reply to
DervMan

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to stop that, an alarm with a proximity sensor may help to scare them off but they can be really annoying.

Reply to
Depresion

Banging on at the council, who keep the alleyway open because it's always been like this, may work...

Reply to
DervMan

Somewhere MORE pikey.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Doh. Must read entire thread before answering.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

:=)

The last place felt a lot more pikey. This place is ruined by two features. It's time to pester the landlord / letting agent.

I really don't want to move again, it's expensive... but every time a window is broken it's a £60 excess plus time plus aggravation.

Reply to
DervMan

Christ, you really do need to MSLP.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

In the demo I saw, I would say it makes a car much more secure. After the side window shattered, it stayed in the door frame, becoming like a piece of flexible plastic. Being flexible, subsequent hits were absorbed and just bounced off. Looked like it would be difficult to knock the window out altogether in order to get inside. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That'll most likely be something to do with rights of way. Thank the ramblers :).

Reply to
Doki
[snip]

Not just the ramblers, right of way are jealously guarded and any attempt to close one off will usually result in a flood of complaints to the council. Sorry to hear about the smash and no grab Dervy but it sounds like pinning your hopes on closure of the alleyway are a dead loss. Is the car anywhere you can put a CCTV camera t view it (i.e. on your own land?)

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sadly they never turn up if you wait. My wife used to have a Mini Special, a 1275 Clubman it was vandalised in a station car park in a place where some of my friends had premises overlooking the car park. They mounted a watch for several months but nothing happened. A year later we gave the car to our daughter and she used the same car park, again vandalised. And even when the friends were looking out a few weeks, the car had its sunroof slashed so that some scrote could steal a pair of sunglasses, a paper back book and one jump lead.

Sadly it's hard to do 24/7 surveillance.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not really in human nature to be able to do 24/7 surveillance. ISTR people have done studies and sentries tend to miss fairly obvious goings on as it's very hard for people to be *really* observant for any period of time.

Reply to
Doki

This is a battle I'm willing to take on. Four broken windows in ten weeks says there's good issue to shut it.

I'm working on getting a CCTV camera...

Reply to
DervMan