Drags at the International Meet in South Bend

We have finalized Friday, June 22nd for the drag date at the International Meet in South Bend. They normally open the gates that day for test and tune at 4:00 pm. I asked if they could open at 3:00 on that day and was told they could open at 2:00 but probably would be close to 4:00 before we would be able to make runs as their help has other jobs and will not be able to get there much before this. So people can come at 2:00 or any time later they want.

I asked several questions and here is some of what I was told:

Races will be quarter mile.

Any car running 13.99 or quicker will need a helmet.

On seat belts, you should have them, but if completely stock they will be ok. I assume anyone with and R engine type car or one with a more powerful engine would have belts anyway and stock belts will be ok (unless an all out drag car, then they would need the harness belts, etc.).

Catch cans will be required on all cars. These can be a plastic quart oil bottle with the overflow hose running into it or anything that will catch the water in case the radiator spills over.

Any car with slicks must have a drive shaft loop.

No passengers allowed (insurance rules will not allow passengers).

$20 for car and driver

$7 for spectators 12 and older

$4 for 6 through 11

Free for 5 and younger

Concessions will be open

We can race until nearly dark (which will now probably be about 9:00 pm.)

I will try to get directions to the strip from the fairgrounds and from downtown and probably can get all this info in the June issue of TW.

In case you have a question let me know and I will try to get an answer for you.

Ted

Reply to
tedharbit

Thank you Ted! Are some of the 'jobs' that the track needs to have done something that we can help out with? (I seem to recall that at Mooresville, they ran the whole shebang with only two or three people.) I'd be willing to help out if it will allow other Stude guys run more... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice