OT brush fire in California

Two brothers who were cadets and then volunteer firemen at my station made this film. They saved a friends house using the training we gave them. Unfortunately, there is no longer a volunteer program and they have been out of the field for many years. The power was off and they had no water but they eventually got the firemen to lay a hose up and put out the spot fires in the attic. The trick is, to get inside the house when the fire blows through. which only takes a few minutes, then come out and put out the spot fires. In these big fires there are never enough engines or firemen to protect every structure. We try to protect one and then move on to another. If one gets a good fire going in it or has a fire on a shake shingle roof we would usually have to write it off because we would not have enough water or time to put it out. I happen to live about 10 miles downwind from this fire and was breathing smoke for several days. Brought back a lot of memories, like an old fire horse I suppose.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

We loaned a flat in a tower that was going to be knocked down to the local fire brigade to film the dangers of a chip pan (French fries cooker) fire. Things went wrong and they lost two cameras and suffered some minor burns. Only one exit, I might note.

I had planned to be there, but was busy elsewhere. I would have had to change my clothes had I been there! Not from smoke but something else starting with "s."

I've never had anything go wrong on firefighting / DC training in the Navy, and only one dropped piece of shoring leaving a minor forehead cut / bruise while "aboard" USS Buttercup.

Karl

Karl

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to