OT: Chevy Truck Update (04/22/07)

For those keeping up with the '65 Chevy truck that I'm restoring:

For those who want to start from the beginning:
Ray and I got the power steering box installed on Saturday and got the motor mounts welded in today. The down pipe clearance looks close, but should work.

The truck came with factory air, you can see it written on the firewall in the last picture.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Looking good Lee:

Watch that rag joint on the steering column. I've had a few of those trucks and one of them let go on me. Luckily it happened at slow speed so it didn't cause any damage - but I replaced them all after that.

Rob

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Would you like a tilt/telescoping steering column? Henry

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Sure, but I'm a little picky... I want to keep the key on the dash so I need one that doesn't have it on the column. I checked E-Bay and these normally came out of early '70's trucks or mid-70's vans. I'm already losing the manual choke knob and need to keep something on the dash so I don't end up with a bunch of blank holes in it. Let me know if you have something that will work for me and we can discuss it more.

Thanks.

Lee

"blacklarkviii carolina.rr.com>" Would you like a tilt/telescoping steering column?

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Thanks Rob, yeah Ray mentioned that too and I plan to replace that one with a new one.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Yeah... but have you gotten to the section where it states the price? Most I see run about $400.

Got any leads where to start looking for steering linkage u-joints? I need a 36-spline on one end and smooth on the other. Unless they make one that has a hole for a pin through the center. These are 3/4" shafts.

Thanks.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Borgeson U-Joint Co. makes exactly what you need. Plain steel, or polished stainless. (But you'll probably bitch about those prices too ) BTW.. Jerry Forrester has them in stock, as well as the DD rod... Jeff

"Lee Aanderud" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Hey... I'm a Studebaker guy, I'm allowed to bitch about prices. I've found the Borgeson U-Joint I need, I'll contact Jerry to see if he can get me one.

Thanks.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Nooo... You are not 'allowed' to bitch....

You are 'commanded' to bitch... You are 'endowed' to bitch... You are 'destined' to bitch... Not THAT is the Stude curse .. Yep... Yer' a Stude guy fer sure! (But we need a better secret hand shake than the one JP came up with ...)

"Lee Aanderud" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Sorry I can't help you with one without the key in the column. But I do have one with it for what I consider a good price. $100 plus shipping or you can stop by on the way to Ray's one weekend and pick it up.

Henry

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Give Jerry Forrester a call. I delivered a bunch of tilt columns to him a year or so ago. One might be a no key deal.. I don't remember what all was in that crate.. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

All used up. None of them had the key on the column.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Of course...

Thanks anyway.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I gots more of them Can deliver to the International in June.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

More without keys on the column? Automatic columns? What are these out of.

Won't be at the Int'l, but will probably know somone who will.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Automatic,column shift,no key. All are from Chev/GMC vans.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

Hmmm... e-mail me with a price (or post it here). You've got my attention.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud