OT Visit to Ronny

I finally got up to the Ronald Reagan Museum today. Fantastic. No matter what your political feelings, this is really worth a visit. All I knew about him personally, if shortly after I got to California, I got a check from him for several hundred dollars rebate on state taxes I had never paid, having been in Massachusetts. Seemed like a strange sort of Conservative!

Funny enough, this message need not be OT, as 'His" Air Force One there had the exterior design by RL!. LBJ through Bush, Sr, used it. Helicopters and parade vehicles there, too.

It was interesting to learn that he fired the flight controllers to send the message to other nations that we were not to be underestimated. Reading between the lines, I think that he went into Greneda to tell other nations "Don't fuch with us."

Spent several hours there and could have had another day - or week.

You could almost sense the feeling general in all the old farts wandering about who have had the experiences of war, recession, depression, boom, bust, elation and misery that it would be great if we could dig him up and put him into the White House today!

Karl

Reply to
midlant

I'd love that!!! (without the Alzheimer's, of course) Been there several times, and it is a great place to visit.

Reply to
WayneC

On 14 Apr 2006 22:24:11 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote: snipped>>>>>>

Funny that you should say that...I was thinking with what is going on today that we need a man like him now...that even dead he was a better man than the ones you have today on both sides...Iran must love Bush for his support of Donald R...Looks like we all better get used to wearing the clothes they all do in the Middle East or clean house at the top in DC and get someone that knows what they are doing and WHO they are doing it for !!!...

Lansing

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

Ever since day one, someone has to be top dog. It's a whole lot better to be at the top of a pile of crap than on the bottom and RR knew that it was far better to deal from a position of strength than wave a paper sabre.

But his successors managed to do away with the 600 ship navy, reduce the active manpower in half and whittle away our air power.

It's time to deal with the rest of the world as we did in the early 20th century with the "Great White Fleet" policy.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Good points, JT. Reagan once stated that a nation which doesn't maintain control of its borders is not going to stay a nation for very long. While Bush jr. should be lauded for rebuilding the military that his predecessor gutted & demoralized, he should remember the reason we have a military in the first place- not for empire building or for removing dictators on the other side of the world, but for defending the borders & territories of the USA.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"
Reply to
Barry

Photography is allowed, but no flash. I don't think that tripods are allowed, so learn how to shoot flashless and maybe make/use a chest-pod.

Karl

Reply to
midlant