OT - way off, But I am confused

Here in the Metro NY area, many of the major TV stations are now super-imposing at the beginning of the opening shots of TV shows with Available in HD on HD 4.1 or Tune to HD 7.3 etc. What are these new broadcasting numbers? I have a Sony 32" HD/CRT in the living room connected to our cable companies HDTV cable boxes, which when we want to view NY Ch. 2 cable box needs to be tuned to

702, NY Ch.4 is 704 and NY 11 is 711.

Upstairs in our bedroom we just bought a HDTV, forgot the size, either 27 or

32 inches, it is an LCD. Without a HD converter box we do get HD, but if I change boxes, the HD upstairs is remarkable. what I don't understand are these new numbers for tuning in a station.

Anyone else out there seeing these new numbers showing up on their programing?

Thanks

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Those are the over the air digital channels numbers. For instance, channel 2 broadcasts a digital signal on channel 45.1. There may be a 45.2 showing sports scores or weather radar. Not all stations are doing this. It's called multicasting. PBS stations have several subchannels, as do many of the religious stations.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Too many toys lead to confusion. I'll stick with the hand-cranked GE 12" B&W that my dad bought in 1948! Did you see Sid Caeser on the Admiral Broadway Review Saturday? That kid is good!

Karl

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
midlant