Question for South Carolina Stude Owners.

Can any South Carolina Stude owners tell me of any problems, hassel or other wise bullshit I might run into if I would move there and try to register my Studes? Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Registering shouldn't be a problem if you already have them registered in another state.

Getting a title transferred is a royal pain in the ass, you have to show up with the car to prove that you actually are in posession of the vehicle. When I got my '62 Lark convertible, I had the titled signed over by the previous owner and walked in and got the run around... I finally asked how many boxes of the 10,000 individual parts they wanted me to bring from NC to get the title changed over to my name. I finally got an e-mail from someone at DMV stating that they will issue a new title upon restoration with no penalty... got two copies of that one stored away.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Lee How are Classic and Antique cars taxed? Can you get a plate for ten years for $50.00 as here in West Virginia? Can you use year of manufacture plates? Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

They're taxed on what the state says they're worth (book value not restoration value)... same as any other vehicle. My body off restored '61 Hawk costs me about $40/yr. for taxes... it's valued as a 45 year old vehicle.

Now your "new" vehicle... be prepared to grab your ankles. My 2004 Toyota Tundra costs me around $600 last year. I know someone with a new Lexus SUV... paid $2600 for property taxes on it last year. Sales taxes on vehicles purchased at maxed out at $300... so it doesn't matter if you buy a $6000 vehicle or a $600,000 vehicle.

No year of manufacture plates. I don't know how SC handles antique plates... I have personalized plates on my Hawk.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Live down here... it's not hard to believe anything our state government does anymore. We consistantly rank last in anything positive and first in anything negative.

Lee (16 years and I'm out of here)

Reply to
Lee Aanderud