Roller Rockers

Is anyone familiar with the Studebaker roller rocker conversion plates made by Eugene Gosthnian? Allenn

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

I don't know if they are still available but have you seen these?

Scroll down near to the bottom of the page for the Studebaker roller rockers.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

IIRC Ted Harbit sold (sells, still sells, did sell???) roller rockers and a bunch of other hi-tech stuff for Stude engines.

Reply to
oldcarfart

As a novice to high performance, I'm at a loss to see an advantage to roller rockers... Now, a roller lifter would be far more interesting to me given the fact that today's motor oils no longer carry the ingredient that prevents/prevented excessive wear to lifters...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Roller lifters allow a more extreme cam profile.Open valves quicker, achieve max lift and stay there a bit, then ramp down quickly.Much better breathing for the engine. A regular flat tappet cam cannot do this,because the lifter would "dig" into the cam lobe at such quick opening profiles.("Mushroom" lifters can do such quick ramps as well)

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

There is some small saving in power loss using roller rockers. The advantage come from another area though. With new rockers you can increase the ratio, thus giving more lift for a given cam.You also can run a bigger cam and not have the limitation of the stock rocker sliding off the valve with high lift.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

messagenews:72c821ce4624f@uwe...

I understand that but what about the rockers? I can't see any advantage there...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

#1 reason to use roller rockers is to reduce or eliminate side loading on the valves and guides thus reducing guide wear. The tip rolls across the end of the valve rather than sliding (friction) across it. The higher the lift the greater the benefit. Lamar

Reply to
wbutler

Ahhhh.... Thank You!

JT