1963 deck lid

I am restoring a 1963 Beetle, I need a deck lid, hood, driver side door and steering column......I found a vw repair shop that has some misc parts for sale and they have a 1963 deck lid with a little surface rust but it has the tag light dome and light on it....they are asking $60.00 for it, is this a fair price? and what would be a price range for a good used hood, drivers side door and steering column? thanks in advance Michael

Reply to
archangelmm

Where do you live? I think I have one - free if you pick it up in SE Minnesota. (I'll have to take a pic of it to be sure it's the right year.)

Reply to
John J

Arch, If you aren't pursuing a totally pure restoration, I would recommend a later model collapsible steering column vice the '63 model, should fit right in, much safer. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

Different size splines at the top, would require running the later model steering wheel. Just went thru that in my baja.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Is the clamp under the dash the same? How about the carbon contact for the horn? Asking because I do not know, I remember som issues on the Oval, I kept the stock parts, worked well once the carbon contact thing was sorted.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Les, mine is the same spline, it is from a 68, going into a 63, I plan to use just the shaft and adapt it into the 63 column, believe 70 on used a different spline, did you swap the entire column? I will be putting in when we swap to the later pan. hopefully next month. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

stock parts, worked well once the carbon contact thing was sorted.

I couldn't tell you on that. My concern was just getting a column back together after having the collapsible part just before the rag joint fail out on the trails. Ended up cutting that out and welding in a piece of tube and reinforcing it, then built the '63 column as a spare. I don't have the horn hooked up...

Seems like the clamp was close enough to work.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

My baja is a '76, so that fits with the change. I pieced something together from a late model column and the '63 column just to get it drivable. Fun swapping steering columns out in the woods...

Reply to
Project Magnet #1