Shipping or mailing large items

Hey, Any suggestions on how to get a Ghia deck lid somewhere besides driving it there? Been checking out shipping costs and they are outrageous. Anyone ever mailed a decklid? Any idea of costs? It has to go to Charlotte NC from NJ. Eric 62 Ghia cab 68 Bug cab

Reply to
Stutzsr

Try Greyhound (bus lines). I've heard big, bulky items that don't absolutely, positively have to get there in a hurry can be shipped pretty cheap. What they'll do is stick it in the luggage compartment of a bus leaving your area and on subsequent busses along the way until it finally arrives at the destination. Of course, your parcel will be the last thing loaded on each bus, as passenger luggage will take priority. However, I wouldn't suspect you'd have to wait but a few days at most.

Reply to
Malcolm

Best bet is to use Greyhound. Catch is you have to box it up, take it to your nearest greyhound, & the recipient has to pick it up at their nearest Greyhound. But it's a lot cheaper. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I shipped a decklid for a Beetle to Arizona I think, And It wasn't that bad of a price.

I used a Business account to ship it though. So that may be discounted and much cheaper.

See if you can use someones Business to ship. what the heck.

Just Don;t use the FED-EX guys..................well, This is advice from Travis.

Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Greyhound had brought me Porsche 911 front fenders before.

dave

Yeah Guys, Thanks Greyhound is the way to go......glad I asked and got an answer this morning!! Eric 62 Ghia 68 Bug both topless

Reply to
Stutzsr

I shipped one to Florida from NJ... I had to package it in such a way that when you measure the 'box' in all three planes it's less then 108". It obviously didn't have a lot of padding.

Reply to
Mel P.