Slip yoke for 4-speed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 511 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

It won't work on a sedan, it's way too long.

blacklarkviii Nate,

John Poulos

Yup, but it's from a Hawk so it'd be too long for you.

nate

blacklarkviii Nate,

Nate Nagel

Nate I had the same problem with my 53 coupe with T-10 and the larger 62 GT drive shaft. I made it much better by installing helper springs over my rear shocks. but it made for a rougher ride. I have just finished installing a T-5 from a Camaro (it is 2 inches longer than the T-10) I also found a smaller diameter drive shaft and cut it down. now it doesn't rub anyplace. So yesterday I removed the springs from the shocks. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but I am betting it still won't rub. BTW the 5 speed is great now I am running 2200 RPM at 75 MPH

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

forgot to ask, what diameter driveshaft? 3" or 2-3/4"? let me know whether it rubs or not when you get a chance to drive it again

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yeah, yeah, yeah, rub it in :)

I think when I get the '55 together it's going to be pressed into service, it's the closest to driveable of any of my cars right now... :( no 5-speed swaps for me...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That does it!

I'm in the process of ordering helper springs from JC Whitney to go over conventional shocks. I may not be alive when SASCO finally gets a new batch of springs...

JT

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

grump you know you can order them directly from Eaton Spring dont you?

Reply to
Transtar60
3 1/2" half is pretty big. Mine now is 3". I don't remember what my first one was but I'm sure it was not bigger.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

So you think if I have a 3" shaft made I will be good to go? that is good info. The guy that I was talking to implied that 3" was borderline too small for the length I needed (his web site listed 56" as the longest length for a standard 3" shaft, I need 57-7/16" or 57-5/8" depending on what year I consider my drivetrain to be) but was willing to make it ASSuming I could provide him with the specs for the slip yoke.

Unfortunately the FSM and parts book do not seem to list *diameters* so I can't easily verify that there was a factory 4-speed shaft made with

3" tube. Not that it really matters in this instance...

nate

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Spoke too soon. diameters are listed in the FSM but only for '61 and '62. '61 does not list 4-speed (why?) '62 lists it as 3-1/2" diameter for 4-speed only. all others are 2-3/4" or 3" '63 and '64 only list U-joint types. (lengths are in parts book.)

I did not have any issues with the FOM and 2-3/4" driveshaft, just wanted confirmation that a 3" shaft would work. this thread has actually been very helpful! Now if someone has a 4-speed slip yoke loose and can take some measurements for me I'll be good to go. (I still only have one running car and I am the only person allowed to drive it for insurance reasons, so I am spending most of my weekends running errands rather than driving out to JP's and working on Studebakers like I should be. Actually today was spent rectifying an electrical issue in the house, gotta love that. But the point was that at this point it's easier for me to order another slip yoke than to drive somewhere and pick up a used one to send the guy.)

At this point, it appears that I need a "16 spline Powerglide" slip yoke, just need length and diameter measurements of a factory Stude part to confirm.

If I do do this, it appears that I will have a 3-1/2" C-K 4-speed driveshaft for sale, if anyone is interested, there is a little dent in the tube near the rear axle but other than that it is pretty good. I put new U-joints in it, too.

nate

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'm waiting for SASCO also, about $150 cheaper/pair.

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Transtar60

Yeah, but the price is considerably higher than what SASCO charged.

JT

(I'm not cheap I tell ya!)

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
John Poulos

Because, if they are good, they are artists!

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Nate the one I used was 3" I don't remember what it came out of but it was the same length as the 3 &1/2" that was from a 62 GT 4 speed

Jerry Kaiser (Studeblu)

53 Starlight Coupe ( pinky) 53 2R6 57 Silver Hawk
Reply to
Jerry Kaiser