Speedo noise

I've been driving my new hawk everywhere since having it licensed and have started to notice a rumbling noise starting at 20mph coming from the dash. I think it is the speedo or the speedo cable. Should I remove the cable from the speedo and oil it or is it time for a new cable or speedo. Any Ideas? - Allen

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

GTtim

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

Nope, it's not going to do that.

Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

My money is on the speedo head, but pulling the speedo cable and lubing it is good PM, and easier, so try that first.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Allen,

If you look at the fitting on the back of the speedometer, you will find a little brass cup-style plug in a hole on the top of the fitting's "neck" between the threaded part and the back of the instrument itself. You will need a mirror and a flashlight to see this when it's installed. Beneath that plug is a felt wick that holds lube oil for the speedo itself. Either pry the plug out, or puncture it with an icepick or whatever, and apply a couple of drops of light oil, like sewing machine oil or electric motor oil.

You might find that removing the entire speedo is the way to go.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Speedo repaired and I moved over to the clock. I had the clock apart cleaned it in Naphtha (camp fuel) 42 years to dirt came out of it but only works intermittently. My uncle is the watchmaker in the family so the clock is going to his place this winter. (A saturday project) He tells me that the base needs to be drill out and bushings installed since the pin holes have elongated and there is too much play in the electric wind wheel. He tell me its full day job to repair it to last another 40 years. Sounds like if you don't have a watchmaker in the family it is best to find a NOS clock.

Gord>>I've been driving my new hawk everywhere since having it licensed and have

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

BUT.......... if the car is going to sit over long periods of time, the clock will kill your battery. I think HFH clock draws current every 6 min to wind itself. Mulitply that by 24 hours and then by 30 days etc.

BG

Sounds like if you

Reply to
Bill Glass