sticker shock, custom aluminum cooling system for my Chevaghini

Hello: One of my cars is a 76 Lambo Espada with a Chevy driveline-nonstock. I've had a running hot problem ever since I've had the car-five years. Recored the radiator,put in a Stewart high f low water pump, special thermostat etc. Some of you Stude guys who live in Fl. may have heard of Cooled by Ice- a custom radiator shop iin Sarasota Fl. He specializes in overheating problems,mosty high performance hotrods.

I had the car towed down there, and he told me the radiator was too thick, the electric fans not enough cfms,and the plumbing was not right, and he would do a dye test to check for leaks.. A week later he called to tell me the car was finished, held 170 degrees running at idlle for an hour, and the 170 held running dow the road. He said he built a new aluminum radiator,flushed the block,put on bigger fans,redid the plumbing,and wired in a relay I haven't p,icked the car up yet so I don't know if the overflow system was changed. I thought the bill would be around $1000-nope wrong- $1581 a little sticker shock.

Regards,Sheldon

Reply to
shel_elias

I just installed a custom radiator that had a high cfm fan and shroud in it and the radiator cost $850 all by itself. Add at least a 25% markup ($1062)...but more like 50% ($1275) Add a hundred bucks to flush the system and $30 for a relay (which should be on ALL electric fans).... Oh, make it $100 to wire in the relay.. Add $100 to re-do the plumbing and $100 for new plumbing parts... You are at $1392 (25% markup).....or $1505 (50% markup) Now add his labor because he fixed your problem... Yep.. Right at $1500+ Drive it (cool)and be happy! Jeff

Hello: One of my cars is a 76 Lambo Espada with a Chevy

Reply to
Jeff Rice

My question is, why aluminum? Wouldn't copper be superior? I have no issue with the labor and other parts but cannot understand the fascination with aluminum radiators unless it also enters into the cost equation...

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Ahhh... Thank you Jeff.

My last radiator recore (for the '55 Prez sedan was a copper four row).

JT

(Owner of somethin' speshul...)

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think that is a splendid name for a Stude! Jeff (Beats the Hell out of Yellow POS!) ) Rice

"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

local metal recycler..

aluminum 3 months back was 75 cent a pound..

red brass-key blanks and the like were 1.40 a pound

copper was 2.40 a pound

plus the weight factor --Shiva--

Reply to
me