TUCKER MADAWICK: obituary

Hi Guys I received this email from Bob Marks and thought it would be of interest to every one in the Studebaker comunity

Jerry Kaiser (Studeblu)

64 One Ton 61 Champ pick up 53 Starlight Coupe ( pinky) 53 2R6 57 Silver Hawk 37 President

I received the obituary for Tucker Madawick, which follows, from Raymond Loewy's daughter, Laurence Loewy. She and Tucker were good friends at the time of his death. Thanks Laurence for the information.

I knew Tucker because we both worked for Raymond Loewy in the Studebaker office, but at different times. I initiated the request for a lifetime membership, for him, in the Lincoln-Zephyr Owners Club because, as many of you know, he worked with and was a close friend of Bob Gregorie and worked on Ford, Lincoln designs in the late'30s, early '40s. His career is documented in Jim and Cheryl Farrell's book: FORD DESIGN DEPARTMENT CONCEPT & SHOW CARS 1932 - 1961.

The obituary, which follows below, states that he was a member of the Lincoln Continental Owners Club. He may have been, but this might be an understandable error; his letterhead included an illustration of the1939 Lincoln (Zephyr-derived) Continental prototype. In any event we know of him through his invaluable reminiscences and fascinating documentation of aspects of his design career with Ford, in our club publications: The Way of the Zephyr and The V-12 Trail.

He started his career illustrating the 1939 Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns at the Ford exhibit at the New York Worlds Fair (which I covered in an issue of The V-12 Trail). Impressed with his ability, Ford hired him into the corporate design office.

Tucker was the personification of the automotive designer of that period: dapper, mustachioed, outgoing and legendary. I recall at Studebaker, just bring up Tuckers name and the stories and laughter began. In Raymond Loewy's book, Never Leave Well Enough Alone, he refers to amusing incidents involving his designers, without naming names, and in at least one, I clearly see Tucker as the instigator.

One story: Raymond Loewy's South Bend office was noted for having attractive secretaries (I can verify that). A new secretary was being hired and although the staff hadn't met her, the rumor was that she was very attractive, and the single guys were looking forward to meeting her. As it happened, she started work the day that Tucker was hired. He was single, took one look, started dating her and she became his lifetime wife, Pat - before any other single guys got out of the starting gate.

He was also part of the Lippincott and Margulies team contributing to the design of the Tucker automobile (No he did not name the car).

After his stints with Ford, Lippincott and Margulies and Raymond Loewy, he joined RCA as VP of design for their Consumer Electronics Division.

As the legendary STYLISTS of the '30s and '40s disappear, the computer-geek designers have taken over and the beat goes on.

Bob Marcks Scottsdale, AZ

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

Thanks Jerry. Too bad. John Bridges also writes about Bob Bourke's story of Tucker's meeting the secretary and knowing immediately 'that' was the woman he was going to marry. It's in "Bob Bourke Designs for Studebaker".

Reply to
TomNoller

A few years ago, after reading an article in TW by him, I got into the museum library the next day and found two recently-arrived club publiations with articles by him. One was airflow the other, the Tucker car itself, IIRC.

Karl

TomNoller wrote:

Reply to
midlant