Voltage regulator--'63 Lark R1

My local Chevy dealer told me I needed a new battery in my Lark during a quickie oil change there about six weeks ago. I did think it had been cranking slower of late.

About two weeks after the new battery, I noticed slow cranking again. It left me stranded outside a shop about two weeks ago. Once jumped, it started right up.

I took it back to the Chevy dealer. They replaced the battery again and said it needs a voltage regulator which they ordered based on removing the one that was on the car. I have an appt. for them to install it Fri. a.m. BTW, the alternator is a rebuilt one installed about a year and half ago by a Stude restoration shop. The Chevy dealer says the alternator is OK.

A friend told me on the phone today that there is some kind of a certain "polarization" procedure (?) that needs to be done when installing a Stude voltage regulator and that I should review the shop manual procedure and make sure the mechanics at the dealership know about this. I'm a mechanical dummy pretty much, and my friend, while no mechanic, is more advanced in this area than me and says he remembers his Dad doing some kind of "polarization" procedure on his Studes way back when, during voltage regulator replacement.

I'm out of town for a few days and not near a shop manual. Anybody know what my friend is talking about?

Thanks, Bill Pressler Kent, OH

Reply to
billslark

John Poulos

D'OH!!!!!

I think he said it was $30!! plus "about an hour" of labor!!!

I wish:

1) I was more patient 2) I didn't get tired so easily 3) I was home more often 4) My Dad hadn't talked me out of taking auto repair classes at the local Vo-Tech school during high school!!

Bill Pressler

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
billslark

Bill, In case you didn't get the drift from JP, don't do the polarization thing with an alternator. It would not like it. Tim K.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
GTtim

Bill, In case you didn't get the drift from JP, don't do the polarization thing with an alternator. It would not like it. Tim K.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
GTtim

John and Tim, thanks for the free advice!

BTW, John, I was in Annapolis on business last week....nice downtown area. We ate in a neat micrbrewery/restaurant place with patio seating out back. Can't remember the name of the place....but it was neat.

Bill Pressler

GTtim wrote:

Reply to
billslark