Voltage regulator--'63 Lark R1

My local Chevy dealer told me I needed a new battery in my Lark during a quickie oil change there about six weeks ago. I did think it had
been cranking slower of late.
About two weeks after the new battery, I noticed slow cranking again. It left me stranded outside a shop about two weeks ago. Once jumped, it started right up.
I took it back to the Chevy dealer. They replaced the battery again and said it needs a voltage regulator which they ordered based on removing the one that was on the car. I have an appt. for them to install it Fri. a.m. BTW, the alternator is a rebuilt one installed about a year and half ago by a Stude restoration shop. The Chevy dealer says the alternator is OK.
A friend told me on the phone today that there is some kind of a certain "polarization" procedure (?) that needs to be done when installing a Stude voltage regulator and that I should review the shop manual procedure and make sure the mechanics at the dealership know about this. I'm a mechanical dummy pretty much, and my friend, while no mechanic, is more advanced in this area than me and says he remembers his Dad doing some kind of "polarization" procedure on his Studes way back when, during voltage regulator replacement.
I'm out of town for a few days and not near a shop manual. Anybody know what my friend is talking about?
Thanks, Bill Pressler Kent, OH
He's talking about a generator equipped earlier car. BTW, the regulator is a $10.00 item at the parts store and takes 10 minutes to install. i bet you paid more. <g>
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
John Poulos wrote:

Bill, In case you didn't get the drift from JP, don't do the polarization thing with an alternator. It would not like it. Tim K.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Bill, In case you didn't get the drift from JP, don't do the polarization thing with an alternator. It would not like it. Tim K.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

John and Tim, thanks for the free advice!
BTW, John, I was in Annapolis on business last week....nice downtown area. We ate in a neat micrbrewery/restaurant place with patio seating out back. Can't remember the name of the place....but it was neat.
Bill Pressler
GTtim wrote:

Site Timeline