1998 Forester engine noise *click click click*

Hi, I have 98 forester S with the 2.5 l engine, 168000 km The engine is making a clicking noise, it seems to come and go. We had the original engine change by Subaru @ 68000km under warranty, they said a crankpin was loose, that sound the engine made at that time was more of a clunk/clunk.

I been reading that this problem is valve lifter related, anybody have any thoughts before I take the car in this week? Can it be fixed/noise reduced? any thoughts?.... thnks

mohawkjo

Reply to
mohawkjo

Oil Pump! How's the Oil Pressure?

That was my thought: hydraulic valve lifters. Now, I don't know the particulars, and I'm ashamed to admit I don't even know what kind of cams are in my '98 2.2L Legacy engine. I have had lifter problems on a V8 Mustang before, and I remember the "tick, tick, tick" noise it makes. It might be only one lifter, hence the tick at 1/2 engine RPM. If the others start to go, too, you could have a whole percussion section in there?!?

Does the problem occur with cold engine? hot engine? Does it come or go when the engine warms up? Hmm, the oil is getting hotter, therefore thinner, hence I would think it should get worse as the engine warms up? Since the hydraulic lifter should get "leakier" with the thinner oil.

Reply to
Juhan Leemet