2001 Forester, oil leak.

We have a 2001 Forester with about 70k miles which had an oil change one week ago at the neighborhood EZ Lube. Yesterday, with only 40 miles since the oil was changed, I noticed after turning off the engine that steam appeared to be coming from the engine. I opened the hood and saw some oil that appeared to have been cooking on the exhaust system. I also noticed that the oil filter seemed to look older than one week. However, the leak is on the opposite side of the engine where the oil filter is located.

Here are some pictures.

Any thoughts as to where this leak might be coming from or whether or not this oil filter looks more than one week old? I'd like to take the car back to the EZ Lube place knowing if this problem might be related to the oil change.

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber L.A., CA

Reply to
David Farber

Filter looks older than one week to me. Where was the oil changed before? Ask to see a new oil filter at the EZ Lube to see if it is the same brand.

Many places won't have a Subaru filter, and will maybe change the oil anyway without telling you.

They may have spilled oil down the side, or check the boot on the axle to make sure it is not leaking. Looks thick for oil in the photo.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

The previous oil change was also at an EZ Lube although it was at a different location.

How do I check the boot on the axle for leaks? I remember seeing a hose clamp there. What type of lubricant is used there?

Thanks for your reply,

David Farber L.A., CA

Reply to
David Farber

Regardless of the root cause, I'd go back and raise holy hell, perhaps starting with one level up from the actual store. That they charged you for an oil change service and apparently didn't replace teh oil filter is a hangin' crime.

As for where teh oil is coming from--I can't really tell from teh pictures, but is it possible they overfilled the oil? What does a subie do when there's too much oil? These are teh questions that might guide my search.

Good luck. Your story has reaffirmed my commitment to doing my own oil changes (pain in the ass though it is).

Reply to
Todd H.

You sure that is the engine oil filter and not the trans filter?

Reply to
Paul

There is cv joint grease, MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide) in the boot. From your photos the boots look pretty clean except what may have been spilled on them then slung.

Just look for any rips or tears on the boots between the hose clamps. Grease will sling out on the exhaust pipe if they tear and make a bad smell as described here before.

I don't see any tears from this angle, need to roll the Forester forward to check all the sides.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I think you are right Paul, my manual Forester does not have a filter next to the half shaft like in his photo, and his is marked "AT".

My engine oil filter is at the front, behind the radiator, behind the cover marked "engine oil filter & drain".

Did notice 3 of my fasteners are missing on my cover, need to find a part number.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

The picture of the filter is not the oil filter. It look like the AT transmission filter. The oil filter is located on the passengers side, at the right front lower corner of the engine up under the splash shield. Clean the engine in what ever way you choose, (spotless) check oil level and see what happens after a drive around town. Then look again and see if it reappears.

Good Luck

Reply to
N1RZB

yep.

I'd like to say THANX for actually taking a picture of an issue that is not uncommon - a CV boot slinging its contents onto the exhaust making an awful stink. We get that issue several times a year on the newsgroup.

Oh, they say there's no need to ever change the AT filter. Its there to catch particles after final assembly. I SUPPOSE it would'nt hurt to replace it if the case were ever cracked open for a repair - or unless it was damaged of course. That's why it looks 6-7 years old - it is!.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Come on Dave...LOOK at your own picture...does that LOOK like clean engine oil to you? Does it even look like dirty engine oil to you? Sure LOOKS live CV joint GREASE to me......

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

The first two pictures, which are from the top looking down, show some black stuff that looks like oil to me. The fourth picture, which is from the bottom looking up, looks like grease. Either something from the outside spilled on it, or something from the inside leaked out. If the brown looking grease is cv joint grease, is that something that is serviced during a routine lubrication? Would a technician check and add grease to the joint?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Then that explains the mystery of why there's an old filter there. I'll clean up the spill/leak and report back after driving it for a bit.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

What Porgie is telling you is this, The CV boot has a crack/slit/rip/tear or hole in it. I agree, if you look at the pattern it's throwing it from the CV boot. It didnt come from "something" outside spilling on it (where did you come up with THAT idea). If you cant tell the differance between Oil/Trans fluid and grease dont open the hood. It *APPEARS* that the boot needs to be replaced. Chances are that BOTH need to be replaced.Don't waste time doing this as the CV joint will indeed fail if you don't do something soon. Don't expect the kids at Jiffy-Boob, Shit-Stop or Poop-Boys to be of any real assistance on this, as it's way out of their league. Your *Genuine* Subaru dealer will indeed "do you" on this, bring K-Y Jelly or use some of that leaking grease for when you get the bill. Get a full estimate BEFORE they touch it, it will help prevent the fist-fight after it's fixed at the dealer.

*This is not a "check and add grease" issue*
Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

Classic textbook split CV joint boot. Case closed.

Your quickie oil change place didn't do it unless someone just stuck a screwdriver in it for the fun of it. Not likely, and if you get under the car and look closely at the tear, you'll probably see that it's a tear and not a slit, if you catch my drift.

Reman halfshafts with CV joints are about $50- $70 at your local quickie parts store but judging from your post it seems unlikely you'd want to to it yourself.

As bob said, get a quote and shop around.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

crack/slit/rip/tear or

Well, if there was some lubrication done to the car during the oil change, and the guy was a bit sloppy with his technique...

If you cant tell the differance between Oil/Trans fluid and

Nope, I definitely don't want to do it myself. I just wanted to know what was causing the problem. I have a local mechanic that I trust. The main question was whether or not the car was safe to drive and it appears it will be able to withstand the 15 minute drive to the mechanic.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise in this matter.

Reply to
David Farber

It will be safe for a 15 minute drive to the mechanic.... the quicker you fix it, the less it will cost you in parts and labor. Once it starts going "CLUNK,CLUNK" in turns is when the $$$$ start to pile up.

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

Just had a call from my daughter who's finishing a summer course at a college about 75 miles away near Lancaster, PA. She has a torn CV boot on HER '01 Forrester, also with ~70k.

Coincidence? I think NOT! :-)

She's never found a mechanic she trusts out there. Is it too risky to have her bring it back here to have our guy fix it?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

People drive around with torn boots for quite a while before they even know they have one. Usually something audible clicking or clunking gets people to finally look and discover the torn bot. If you're going to fix it with new half shafts anyway, I'd say it'd be perfectly fine for the drive back to trusted mechanicsville. If you're trying to svae the joint and have high confidence it's been caught early before all grease has been thrown out and the joint contaminated, you'd want to get a split boot or some bandaid on it ASAP (i.e. where the daughter is).

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Yep - what todd said. Even after they start clicking they can last for months. Most larger cities have a place that is known to the gearheads as THE half shaft replacement biz. Just start asking around and someone will know. maybe $99 per axle with lifetime warranty-type of place. In/out in

45 minutes. Or similar. But if soobs are not common in your area, they may have to actually rebuild her joints. Depends on what's on the shelf.

anyway - you have plenty of time if there's no clicking when she turns.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks to you and Todd both. She drove home last night and I had the axle replaced this morning. $230, which is less than I though for a new axle.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo