2003 Outback Wagon trailer wiring

I am attempting to install the trailer wiring on my 2003 Outback wagon. I have a T-one connector kit from DrawTite which should connect ot a 6-pin connector on the car. Problem is, I can't find the connector. Their instructions say it is under the access panel for the driver's side tail light. Nope! Not on the passenger either, although this is where most of the wiring is routed. Anyone know where it is? Please!

Reply to
Linda Parker

Edward Hayes

I don't know about the '03, but it is just where Subaru says it is on my '97 Outback. After I opened the access panel for the left rear tail light assembly I had to fish around with my hand to find the trailer connector. It was taped to the main wiring, a bit forward of the hatch, to keep it from flopping around if it was not going to be used. Take a flashlight and look inside the cavity for a connector that mates with the one from DrawTite but is not connected to anything. You may have to remove some tape to get it free.

-- Vic Roberts

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Had same installed on my Legacy and the dealer had to splice in a connector. Maybe it's different with the Outback but I doubt any Subaru comes with trailer wiring built in. Just read the trailer section of the owner manual, they repeat over and over again that the car was not made to pull a trailer and that they will hold no responsibility whatsoever if you do. That's only to protect themselves of course, warranty wise.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

My '97 Outback had the connector installed at the factory. I believe they are in all Outbacks. I don't know about the Legacy.

Well, Subaru sells a trailer hitch as an "official" accessory. It is listed in their new car brochures (at least in the US) and probably on the Web site when you "build your own car". They also list trailer weight capacities for the various models.

-- Vic Roberts

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Glad these things have changed or are different outside Canada. It make more sense than giving the user the impression he is doing something wrong.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

Sorry, I did not notice you were in Canada, and I should have looked.

Perhaps the laws are different. Is the trailer hitch listed as a Subaru accessory for Canadian-delivery Subarus?

-- Vic Roberts

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Reply to
Crash

If you buy the trailer towing kit they give you a module that plugs into a plug in the spare tire cavity and you have to feed the wire out the rubber gasket in the bottom of the spare tire cavity. I towed a trailer all the way from los angeles to the arctic circle and back with absolutely no problems.

Victor Roberts wrote:

Reply to
perry chamberlain