2005 Outback Snow Chains

Check this out.

HTH, Greg in IN

Reply to
Greg in IN

Been a while since I've posted.... Try

and avoid the line wrap issues. Greg in IN

Reply to
Greg in IN

Is that why they require chains? I've never been to California and I've been reading this thread thinking, dang, how much snow can they possibly get over there?

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I'm 75 and have been driving since I was 14. I lived in LA for about 20 years so that's a non-chain issue. But, I spent 30 years in Los Alamos and Santa Fe, NM and commuted about 75 miles a day to work. I never used chains, either on a Porsche or any other vehicle. Also had a '97 Sub in Santa Fe and in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Driven on ice and snow (up to 12") without any trouble, except for power at 10'000 foot elevation.

A little practice in an empty parking lot really pays off.

Reply to
Don.

We need them when they're required by law, which is all too frequently. Less so an AWD & 4WD vehicles.

Reply to
David

I have driven through snow as deep as the top of the headlights the snow was getting pushed into the engine where you open the hood why do you think you need chains? do you go through county forests off road?

Reply to
ra sh

I agree, the problem as described is pretty strange. However it might be worth looking carefully at whether the law requires you to be able to put the chains on (or even if it requires you to put them on), or if it only says you have to carry them. Perhaps there have been cases where people have argued the law says carry them only?

Yes that sounds stupid, and might not get you too far in an argument at the side of the road, but if there have been precedents set, it would be worth knowing.

=aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

I-80 near Truckee (the site of the Donner Party) gets a lot of snow - over 200 inches per year, with some ski resorts getting more than 400 inches (according to various web pages).

Snow in town has never been that high when I've been there, but occasionally it comes down very fast, which is more of a concern for travelers.

Reply to
Jack Hamilton