'96 Impreza engine coughed, threw a CEL

Hey any idea what would cause this? I was exiting the freeway and as I was coming to a stop the engine "coughed" and almost stalled, then threw a CEL.

I have the code here. P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction. The guy at AutoZone said it could be MAP sensor or air filter or possibly bad gas to make it do that.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I'm going to change my air filter too.

Reply to
oothlagre

Hey any idea what would cause this? I was exiting the freeway and as I was coming to a stop the engine "coughed" and almost stalled, then threw a CEL.

I have the code here. P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction. The guy at AutoZone said it could be MAP sensor or air filter or possibly bad gas to make it do that.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I'm going to change my air filter too.

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Hey any idea what would cause this? I was exiting the freeway and as I was coming to a stop the engine "coughed" and almost stalled, then threw a CEL.

I have the code here. P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction. The guy at AutoZone said it could be MAP sensor or air filter or possibly bad gas to make it do that.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I'm going to change my air filter too.

Reply to
oothlagre

Just a thought, since you said it happened as you were coming to a stop off the freeway...maybe you've got enough water collected in fuel filter to slosh around and get pulled in? Or low fuel in tank?

Reply to
CompUser

I had over half tank of gas. I just started up today and the CEL went out........... All I did was bang on the air filter and knock some crap off. I'm going to replace it and the fuel filter.

Henry

Reply to
oothlagre