'98 Forester stereo & plastic console removal

Just wondering if anyone knows whether the black plastic cover over the stereo and cup holder area is only secured with clips? It was very firm and did not want to come off when I pried. I would like to take it off to take out the stock stereo. Thanks.

Reply to
jarvazo

Picture 10 shows where the clips are located that need to be removed. Top three are the hardest to remove.

but you'll probably have to sign up here before you can view it

Gregory Kleverlaan

Don't know on the '98 Forester, but for sure the '96 and '97 Legacys had the screws for the cup-holder also going thru the top of the stereo surround. You might check for that. The surround on my wifes 2K2 Forester, and also on the 2K2 WRX, is held with just 4 clips, and they are fairly stiff. I used a butter knife with some electrical tape around the blade (to keep from scratching the console plastic) to pry these out.

ByeBye! S.