WRX Security system

Hi folks.....

In the Australian model WRX (2001), Is it true that if the battery is removed, you cannot get the car started again using your security pin number?

And if this is the case, is there ANY way to get the car going????

I am going away to a remote town in Queensland, and am really anxious that if the battery fails or goes flat, I will be badly stuck.

regards Jim

Reply to
Xqueeg730X

Steve Johnson

Ask Subaru????????? Are you kidding????? I have attached below some correspondence I had with Subaru Australia. (idenfifying details deleted for obvious reasons!!!), with the most recent reply at the top, and my original question at the bottom...... you folks can decide.....

(I'm Mr Jones, the Subaru man is Mr Smith)

This guy is telling me what I already KNOW!!! "Roadside service providers", like the auto clubs, RACQ etc DO NOT have any codes!! and I KNOW how to change the code, and I KNOW it locks out after 3 bad attempts to enter a pin number.. etc etc!!!

What I WANTED to know is .. is there ANYTHING.. like some sort of alternate power thing I can do to maintain power to the security system, so that I can change the battery over... maybe it could cut in when the main vehicle battery gets low... or something....

Folks.. there is a market out there for a cheap little electronic gizmo that would save a lot of folks, a lot of grief. I might even put my mind to it myself!!!

Here are the emails -- other than the change of names, the emails are as sent/received (including spelling and grammar): ________________________________ From: Sam Smith Subaru Australia on behalf of Feedback Subaru Sent: Friday, 24 June 2005 7:29 AM To: ME Jack Jones Subject: RE: Subaru.com.au - Feedback - GeneralComplaint

Dear Mr Jones,

Thankyou for your follow-up email.

Please accept my apologies with my mis-understanding of your enquiry. If your do have battery failure your vehicle will need to be attended by a roadside service provider or arranged to be taken to a service centre. We would recommend "Subaru Roadside Assist" service, as they well knowledged with regard to Subaru vehicles and alarm issues and we would suggest having you local Subaru dealer advise you further with the details of this service.

Kind Regards

Sam Smith Customer Relations Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited

-----Original Message----- From: snipped-for-privacy@ME.com Sent: Friday, 24 June 2005 8:59 AM To: Feedback Subaru Subject: RE: Subaru.com.au - Feedback - GeneralComplaint

Thanks for your email reply.

However, you did not answer my concerns. What do I do if I find myself stuck with a flat battery in a place where there is no Subaru dealer.

If I remove the battery to replace it, is it true that the security system will lock itself out and I will be stranded, unable to start the car??? and if so, what do I do then?

regards ME

________________________________

From: Sam Smith Subaru Australia on behalf of Feedback Subaru Sent: Thu 23/06/2005 1:22 PM To: ME Jack Jones Subject: RE: Subaru.com.au - Feedback - GeneralComplaint

Dear Mr Jones,

Thankyou for your email to Subaru Australia.

We can appreciate your disappointment with this situation and apologise for your inconvenience. We are not in a position to comment for the reason of the alarm having "blown" and your service dealer would be best able to explain this further for you. We also suggest that you discuss an upgrade for your alarm with -a more user friendly approach.

We would like to provide some information with regard to master codes. The alarm system master code is for Subaru Australia use only. It has less function capability then the user code, and is only required at times when a user code is entered incorrectly 3 consecutive times or the keypad system recognises signs of tampering. Release of the master code to users is unnecessary, and would compromise the security of the system.

If you have accidentally entered the user code incorrectly and are concerned that you may immobilise the vehicle completely by further errors, you can cycle the ignition to restart the count, thus avoiding

3 consecutive errors. If the user code is not accepted the vehicle's systems may have been tampered with or requires maintenance, in this case we recommend contacting your local authorised Subaru dealer.

Should you require assistance with operating instructions or a change of user code, please feel free to contact your Subaru dealer. However, for security reasons and in the interest of Subaru vehicle owners, Subaru Australia is unable to discuss detailed information of the vehicle's immobiliser systems.

We hope this information has ben of some assistance.

Kind Regards

Sam Smith Customer Relations Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited

-----Original Message----- From: snipped-for-privacy@ME.COM Sent: Thursday, 23 June 2005 2:28 PM To: Feedback Subaru Subject: Subaru.com.au - Feedback - GeneralComplaint

Email From: MRJones Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@ME.COM Postcode: Registration Number:

Comments: I am the owner of a 2001 plated WRX, which I purchased new from a dealership in June 2002. This vehicle does not get any abuse, and in fact, has travelled only 27,000 Klms, as I am often away on business.

I live in SomeCity, and was recently visiting friends 130 Klms away.

I accidentally left the map light on for the weekend, and of course, the battery went flat.

Because the security system had locked out, I had to have the vehicle towed to a dealership (the only one in the area). Now. at this point, I do NOT have any issues.. I understand the need to get the car to the dealership.

So, I had to take a day off work to get to the dealership. I expected the dealer to simply enter an override master pin on the security system to get me going, then the run to SomeCity would have charged the battery.

However, the dealer told me that the security system had 'blown' as a result of the flat battery, and that a replacement part was required. This replacement would take between 7 and 10 days.

I had no alternative but to leave the car with the dealer and rent another vehicle for 7 days, as I need a vehicle for work, as well as the need to return to SomeCity and also to get back to the dealership when my car was repaired.

I have a number of major issues with all of this... How can a flat battery possibly result in the car being locked out for up to 2 weeks??? Surely Subaru could engineer a secondary circuit to power the security system in the event of a flat battery!!!! Considering that if the battery is removed and replaced for any reason, the security system will be locked out.. this is really scary What would happen if I was in a really remote area which had no Subaru dealerships, and the car battery failed?? This is something which can happen easily. batteries can fail at any time. The very thought of the consequences in this event are nothing short of frightening!!!!

I absolutely love the WRX, and since I have had mine for 3 years, I am now at the point where it should be replaced. I had every intention of getting another WRX until this incident.. I appreciate the need for security, and welcome it. The system on the car is great. the car drives well. it's a fantastic car, I just LOVE it

But I cannot afford to be locked out for what could be weeks on end because of a flat battery problem, and as I have said, if I were in an area with no dealerships. what then???

I appreciate the need for security in that Subaru cannot publish master codes, but for genuine owners, who are registered with Subaru, and who can prove their bona fides, surely there could be SOMETHING that can be done to get them going in a situation like this.

This seemingly stupid little thing will stop me getting another WRX, and I DO NOT want that to happen!!!! Is there ANYTHING you can tell me to ease my anxiety?

Reply to
Xqueeg730X

Such devices do exist, at least here in the US. If not available commercially down there it's simple enough to make one yourself. The backup device consists of a 9V battery and either a cigarette lighter plug or clipleads. Before the battery is disconnected, the backup battery is connected to the car and the 9V battery is sufficient to maintain the various memories in the car (radio, ECU, alarm) while the battery is being removed and replaced. In the Subaru you can't use the cigarette lighter for this purpose because the power to it is switched with the key, so you need to connect the backup to a full-time 12V point in the main fuse box using the clipleads. To make a backup device for your Subaru, all you need is a 9V battery, battery clip, diode and alligator clip leads. The diode is wired in series with one of the leads to prevent current from flowing from the car battery into the 9V which could cause it to explode. The current will only be able to flow from the 9V into the car. Before connecting the backup and removing the main battery, make sure the key is out, trunk is closed, interior light is turned off, and no accessories are turned on in the car that draw current with the key out. The 9V battery won't be able to support any lights or other drain other than the memory backups so opening the trunk etc. while it is connected with the battery out will kill it almost instantly. Be sure to use a fresh alkaline 9V battery, and keep it connected only long enough to swap out the battery. I made one of these a long time ago, and I keep it in the car in my toolbag.

Reply to
mulder

Reply to
JaySee