Aftermarket Speakers for 2002 WRX

I just got a WRX and I love it. The only problem is the speakers are not too impressive. I don't need much thump but would at least like to listen to my music loud and clear. Now I've looked through the newsgroups and I haven't really found anyone that has but aftermarket speakers into this car. I know the door is thin which narrows the choices but there has to be something out there that will satisfy me. I have no problem modifying the door a little to accommodate for the speakers size. Please let me know what speakers would help me out, and what I need to do to install them. Also, I would like to stick with the OEM 6-disc changer since I won't need to much power but if an amp is needed, I won't having any qualms about purchasing one. Thanks for the advice in advance.

MC

Reply to
MC

MC- I put Polk 2-way 5.5" up front and they thump real well for the price. The rear is more difficult, but I put in Infinity 4" (there are two different models, with different ratings, but the factory unit is only 20W RMS so the smaller 35W RMS version worked for me). The front door panels didn't need to be modified themselves, but the mounting hardware is integrated into the factory speaker, so you (or whomever installs it) will have to destroy the factory pieces.

Overall I think it sounds quite nice. Sooner or later I will go to a better head-unit with XM and MP3 and optional inputs. At that point I will put bass blockers on the 4 main channels and install my 12"-500W pioneer box into the trunk. Anyways... My opinion is that speakers are worth it and the factory unit isn't bad, but still a little weak.

Mike

Reply to
MikeL

I could only fit 4" JL Audio (TL series) speakers in my '02 WRX wagon doors, but I wanted them to fit completely behind the stock grill opening. No problem in the rear - they fit right in. But the fronts required a fabricated mount to get as much clearance between the window and the magnet as I could. I kept the stock tweeters in place, but disconnected them.

At first, I also used the stock in-dash cd changer, and used high end speaker-level converters to feed a 4 channel amp under the seat. It was a big improvement, but it didn't sound like the money I had spent. I eventually added a used Alpine head unit that disappears into the dash with no intervention from me when the key is taken out. It looks like I have no radio at all, and I don't have to carry a faceplate with me. The ability of the 7969 to tailor the sound to my liking made a huge difference in my satisfaction of the whole system. The bass and treble dials on the stock unit didn't cut it.

Even with only 35 watts to each door speaker, and 120w to the sub, I am very happy with the output levels. I was really surprised the 4" sounded as good as they did at the levels I was driving them at. The ability to vary the crossover frequency in my head unit helps immensely. I had to change my battery recently, and forgot to change the default settings. When I sent the doors 125Hz and above, and the sub 100Hz and below, all was right again. The slope of the crossovers are shallow enough that very little is lost between 100 and 125Hz.

So I have a nearly stock look with much higher performance. I am impressed by the speakers ability to present a wide sound stage when they sit a few inches from the floor. I've heard many nicer systems, but this is still quite good.

Reply to
Byron

Reply to
Bryan Lee

By the sound of the other posts, it seems like the WRX is a bit more difficult installation than my old Legacy. I went with 6.5" Clarion speakers all around, I forgot the model but I think they were about $100 a pair. Originally I used a crappy Aiwa CDC-MP3 head unit, but that eventually broke and I ended up with a much better Kenwood unit, a MPV-622 if memory serves. And, after my friend got married, I "inherited" his Pioneer amp and sub. I can never remember the model of either, but I think that it runs between 100 and 150 watts. All in all, it sounds really good, except that the interior of the Legacy seems to help amplify the higher frequencies, so I had to raise the lower frequencies and lower the high ones to give it a more "balanced" sound, to me at least.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Boom, there it is. That's what I need. Thanks guys, the spacers are a huge help. That should expand my possibilities a lot. I'll probably look at some 6 1/2 Polks for the front and maybe that pair of Infinitys in the back or maybe Polks all around. Any advice on the tweeters in the front? Leave them be, upgrade them also, or some people have just disconnected them all together?

Reply to
MC

"Bryan Lee" wrote in news:41352fd4$0$19726$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

Why do that, and have to deal with shipping, etc. Spacers are available at any place that does car audio installations. I got the ones I'm using at Best Buy, just walk into the installation area (usually a back door), and they'll sell them to you, and cheaper than this place to boot!

Reply to
Larry Weil

I did not know that. Thanks

Reply to