awd and park

Hi All,

Not to ask too stupid a question, but in AWD, are all four wheels locked in park or just the front two or just the back two?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

hmmmm....fun question!

(I assume you are not refering to the use of the emergency brake)

I'd say 'most' AWD subes have 1 front and 1 rear wheel 'locked'. WRXes, some Foresters (IIRC) maybe most Outbacks have rear LSD so probably 1 front and 2 rear are 'parked'. STI may depend on the DCCD setting.

OK - ATTACK!!!

lol!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

For an automatic, the front wheels are locked. It must be an auto since standards don't have 'park'.

Reply to
JD

But is the wet clutch pack in the tailshaft of the automatic 'locked'?

And the front diff is 'open' so, there is 'sorta' just one wheel 'locked'? No, wait, if it was on a lift, one wheel would spin opposite it's mate - but, yeah, on the ground their locked.

I guess i was thinking about 'torque transfer'.

nvrmd

;^)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yup. The auto AWD is different from the manual transmissions. You're right though; if it was off the ground, one wheel would spin one way and the other in the opposite direction. However, the clutchpack does lock unless it detects a difference in speed between the front and rear wheels, and the AWD is electronic. In park, with the ignition turned off, the rear would not be locked. It would be the same as removing the AWD fuse.

Reply to
JD

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

With the engine running, or off?

With the engine off, the clutch pack I believe is dis-engaged since its pump pressure that forces the clutches together, but it would still drag a bit. If it didn't drag at all with the engine off, there would bge no negative effect from a 2-wheel tow, and there is indeed a bad effect on the clutches.

Engine on, depends on what subaru does with the signal to the lock- slip solenoid.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp