Blinking Brake Lights

Hi group - this morning my battery was dead in my 1998 Forester.

So I took another car to go buy a new battery. I installed the new battery - and the car turns over no problem - but now the brake lights are blinking at a very consistent pace - and there is a ticking sound on the interior of the car that is in unison with the blinking.

Why is this ? It's not the hazard lights - but it's the *brake* lights.

I called my dealer and asked him - and he said likely one of the fuses has been blown. I checked all my fuses and they are all fine.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks!

Reply to
david.hunter

That has to be the turn signals blinking, not the brake lights. The panic mode on your keyless entry/alarm was activated when the battery was removed and disconnected, when first powered up it is in the panic or alarm mode. Pressing the unlock/disarm button on your remote should stop it.

Reply to
mulder

Actually it would be the parking lights not turn signals, I was mistaken. The alarm will flash the parking lights when tripped.

Reply to
mulder

Hi Mulder - thanks for the reply.

however - I don't have an alarm of any sort on this car. Nor do I have keyless entry. It's definitley the red part of the tail light in this picutre :

Any other ideas!? :-)

Thanks -

Reply to
Syl

Are you the original owner? I'm thinking that the car has a keyless or alarm module that you may not be aware of, maybe you never got a remote.

Reply to
mulder

I am the oringial owner.

I've been reading that maybe I shorted a connection somewhere when I changed the battery - or also maybe there is corrosive material on the connectors.

The best thread I have been able to find is this :

there's not answer! lol.:-(

Syl

oh wait a sec- there is! Answer It's the theft part of the keyless entry system...reprogram your keyless entry and it stops...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - you're bang on the answer Mulder - but this just doesn't apply to me or my car!

Reply to
Syl

But are you sure? I know that on some recent models (my WRX for instance) the keyless entry is standard and the alarm is an option. Even without the alarm there is still a panic function built into the keyless and it will probably activate when the battery is disconnected/reconnected. Could it be that you do in fact have keyless but just never got the remotes with the car?

Reply to
mulder

Mulder - again you are absolutely correct.

My wife *does* have a the remote key pad.

But ................................... I'm sure there are only two buttons on the keypad - unlock and lock. This is the one she has :

Syl

A while back I read a post that talked about a button right over top of the eng hood release. Hard to explain but the guy with the problem did find it. I also recall that there was some info in the owners manual. That's about all I can add...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Thanks Bill - will check it out.

Reply to
Syl

The unlock button on the remote should stop the flashing.

Reply to
mulder

Hi Bill and Mulder - thank you both for the direction. Between the two of you I managed to disable the blinking.

The remote only has two options - unlock car and lock car. There is a big yellow sticker on the frame of the car in front of the battery that basically says :I If you disconnect the battery, the lights and alarm will repeat as a security measure. To disable this feature, turn the car power to ON and simutanously press the disable button located below the dashboard for one second

I followed these instructions and all worked out perfectly!

Thanks again for the pointers - I was drerading having to take the car to the dealer for this!

Reply to
Syl