break pads on 2006 impreza

Hello I replaced my break pads on my 2006 impreza yesterday. I order hawk street pads. So far seems to be working. I took the tire out and unscrew the lower bolt of the caliper. It was really easy. Then I push the pistons in with a clamp I had. It took a couple of miles to adjust but now it is grabbing good. I noticed that the old break pads had a couple of steel sheets on top. I moved those 2 steel sheets to the new pads that did not have them. Is this the right thing to do?

Reply to
joe

Some pads need the shims, some don't. If the new pads came with metal or teflon shims either in the package or already glued or riveted to the pad backing, then they wouldn't require the old ones to be reinstalled.

Reply to
mulder

Yes, plus, many folks would put a little brake grease on the shims, both sides, to reduce the chance of squeal or rattle. Not mandatory I guess.

How many miles on the car now? You might consider a brake fluid flush. Brake fluid's ability oy resist boiling degrades with time because it absorbs water.

good tehcnical 'white papers' at

1 Lucky Texan