Caliper Sliders

I had a brake job done today, both front and rear, on my 2004 Impreza

2.5 TS Wagon, almost 60,000 miles. This was done at an independent garage. While they did not replace the calipers, they replaced the caliper sliders at $15 each.

Was this really necessary? Is this something that is going to prevent problems in the future, or was I just nickle-and-dimed for $60?

Reply to
Larry Weil

Do you have the old ones? Can you take a picture and put it up somewhere? How could we know without at least looking at them?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I assume the roads are salted in New Hampshire (they are cindered here.) If so, it was a good investment. If the sliders bind from rust they will wear out the pads - and maybe even the discs - within weeks. I speak from experience :-( just because of worn-out grease.

See

this is on an Acura, the same principles apply. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've had two Subarus. I had one set of front brakes replaced while still under warranty because of this problem. Road salt and sand grit cause the slides to freeze, thus wearing the brakes, creating squeal, etc. It's worthwhile preventative maintenance. If you don't drive a lot of miles, it's worthwhile to have the calipers greased every year or two. There is a special caliper grease made for this purpose.

Reply to
Jakey

In addition: make sure the rubber seals are good or replace them.

Reply to
Edward Hayes