Check Engine Light - I am now ignoring it

The check engine light on my 2002 OBW 6 cyl is starting to turn into a boy who cried wolf. First time it went on, I took it to the dealer and wasted 3 hours. They never told me what the trouble codes were and re-set the codes so the light went out. The second time it went on, I didn't have a chance to get it checked out quickly and two weeks later, out it went. This lasted two weeks. Now I am on the third time. It just went on today and my response this time is to completely ignore it. Anyone else experiencing this kind of annoying CEL issue?

Reply to
Debra Co

Go to AutoZone. They will read the codes free of charge and then you can look them up on your own.

I have also had the odd experience where the engine will cough and throw a CEL. Sometimes it will go off by itself.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Go to AutoZone or a similar store and have them read the codes, they will do it for free. Then go back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. Clearing the codes does no good if the problem isn't fixed.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Just bear in mind that the boy who cried wolf eventually got eaten! I agree with everyone else. If you know what it is, it's non-critical & it's not affecting general running or fuel costs (like the purge canister solenoid in my old Liberty), THEN ignore it - but best to find out first.

Reply to
hippo

Subaru's are notorious for the CEL coming on. DON'T ignore it! Just because it went out doesn't mean you don't have a problem. They are supposed to go out after a while for some codes but you are still supposed to have it checked. Read your owners manual. If the dealer won't tell you what the code said I would be VERY worried and try another dealer or non Subaru repair shop...could be they are trying to weasel their way out of a needed repair covered under warranty. TG

Reply to
TG

I had a persistent CEL in my 2001 Forester and it turned out to be a faulty Air/Fuel sensor, had it repaired under warranty and the problem never returned.

Reply to
Rhesus Monkey

Thanks everyone. First thing is, I am not under warranty anymore. Even though the car is just reaching 3 years old now, I am already at

45K miles.

The second thing is, less than a week later, the CEL has gone out again. Are the codes still retained even though the light is no longer on? Will there be anything for AutoZone to read if I bother to bring it in now?

I am beginning to sense a faulty fuel/air sensor, as it came on when the gas tank was the lowest I had ever let it get. I only had about 2 gallons left in the tank when it went on. Then I filled up, and it only remained on for about 4 more days after that.

Reply to
Debra

Are the codes still retained even though the light is no

Yes, of course they are.

If I were you I would rely less on psychic abilities and more on OBDII, if low fuel triggers an A/F code (if that's possible) you would also have noticed the engine stumble. TG

Reply to
TG

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yes - codes are retained unless you actually reset the computer - which involves deliberately doing osmething so they'll still be there. Get it checked. Diag and possible replacement costs might well be less than a big wallet munching failure later on!

Reply to
hippo