clutch replacement '92 loyale

hi, i'm wondering how much time in the books does replacing a clutch on a 92 loyale costs? i was quoted $1300 for parts and labor, and that sounds crazy to me. it's a 2wd/4wd. also, she's stuck in 4wd. anyone know what the problem maybe? is it just a simple switch circuitry? tia, jun

Reply to
golgo13

Sounds more like a quote to fix the clutch AND the center diff.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

Hi,

Replacement of the clutch on my '90 a coupla years ago ran just over $300 for OEM disc, pressure plate, pilot bushing and throwout bearing.

Doing the work myself, it took around 8 hours and change, not having the proper lifts or anything that would have made the job go easier. I'd figure the book shouldn't call for more than about 4 hours. Even at the highest local shop rate I'm aware of, $95/hr, that's suggesting you should be out of there for around $700-$800.

On the 4wd issue, I believe there's a separate fuse for the 4wd--don't recall for sure. But if I'm correct, you could pull it and that should drop you out of 4wd, which would let you know if it's just a switch problem. On mine, the switch triggers a vacuum control that kicks in the

4wd. You should check the lines, then if there's no electrical problem, pull a vacuum line and see if it drops back to 2wd. If so, you know the problem's in that unit. If not, then it's probably internals in the gearbox and I've got no experience there.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright