Door lock remote batteries (keychain type remote)

I've never had a car with remote door locks. About how long does the battery last? I have a '97 Outback, and the remote has a very small 12v battery in it. Does it just die one day, or does the range of the remote decrease first?

Thanks.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Tcassette

Almost 5 years so far for mine, use it 4 or 5 times a day. So far, no range reduction that I've noticed. Will still work at 100 yards or so.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

It may depend on several factors, but for me, I've found it beneficial to keep an extra battery in the glove compartment ALONG WITH (very important!) the requisite screw driver. At minimum the battery should last a year or two. Sometimes mine has seemed to die pretty quickly (or the range seems to be shorter but then it gets mysteriously better). Radioshack carries the batteries you'd need, at about $3 apiece IIRC.

HTH, Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca Wagaman

mine is range reduced and requires definite button push to activate now. My other FOB is just fine. I think I may start using the other one :P

Reply to
dnoyeB

Sheldon-My 1st car with this feature was a 1999 Chevy Prizm (same car as a Toyota Corolla). Probably varies but the key fob lock opener was going strong on its original batteries (IIRC) when my wife totaled the car 3 months ago ;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks all.