Extended Warranty: didn't pay for itself for me fwiw

As a datapoint, I bought 100k/6yr/0deductible/GoldPlus plan for my

> 2001 from them [Curry Subaru, Chicopee, MA] for $1200 back in early > 2003. The gamble (and extended warranties are a gamble) hasn't paid > off for me yet, but I've got another 30k to drive though.

I gambled, I lost. :-) Ah well.

That 30k mi is now down to about 600 miles. My car's in today with a variety of nitty complaints fishing for the last ounces of value out of the warranty, and nothing came of the fishing expedition.

o drivers door window squeaks mid-travel. Dx: worn weather strip and rubber components requiring taking apart the door and a part they don't stock. Est: $300. Not covered by warranty. o groaning of rear wiper motor during cold weather. Claimed it was my wiper blade and no noise made when wiper blade lifted from glass. *sigh* The noise I experience is indpeendent of that, but of course it's not cold today. I wonder if having the complaint on record may help when it does get cold. o groan/squeak from rear strut when going over curbs or speedbumps slowly. No problem found. Strut not leaking at least, which is good news. Dunno if suspension would be covered or not anyway. o Broken retainer clip on rear headrest. $26. Interior trim not covered.

So, despite a lot of early trips to service for various engine and idle issues and it being relatively new in a subaru design cycle (which motivated me to seek the extended coverage I normally turn down), the car has been awfully damned reliable in it's mid-life. I think I did get about $400 worth of repairs or so out of the warranty, but nothing really to write home about.

So the warranty didn't pay off for me, for whatever that's worth in the net.knowledgebase.

Happy subie-ing,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

bigjim

Oh that's right--that coolant additive recall I'd forgotten about. Was the agenda with that to prevent head gasket failure? Dunno if I've checked the coolant level consciously lately. :-)

Are head gaskets failing on this vintage as a trouble spot?

Reply to
Todd H.

Mine didn't either on my 00 Outback Wagon. About $150 worth of warranty repairs that would have been done on the 3 and 36. Got 82K on it right now. I guess I shouldn't complain....that's pretty trouble free and that's what we are hoping for. I just wouldn't buy one again on a Subaru. Jim

Reply to
Jim L

Looks like mine is paying off. Two days ago I heard a high pitched whine then lots of metal pieces banging against each other while in 2nd gear. I purchased a 100k/1 year/50 deductible on a used 2003 WRX. Mine cost $550. The labor just to tear down the tranny is $850.

Reply to
Ed

Ow...

Did a gear shatter or something?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

mechanic said some kind of retaining clip broke off and busted up 2nd gear. Actually they first drained the transmission and two gear teeth came out. Told me that it would cost $850 to open tranny. Thats when they found out what happened and said my extended warranty covered the problem. Since they have the tranny open decided to change the clutch.

Reply to
Ed