Good wipers - Legacy

Hi folks,

I have a 2001 Legacy station wagon. Do you recommend any particular wiper?

I find that the rear window clears poorly. The wiper leaves streaks and the doesn't clear the entire path. For example, at the top of the window, the wiper does not touch the window... I suspect because of the curvature of the glass.

What do you use?

I'm also looking for new wipers for the front. The current ones have started to chatter, probably from a summer of constant exposure to sun.

I'm planning on buying the Reflex WetTec from Canadian Tire (I live in Ottawa, Canada).

cheers :)

Reply to
Dan Langille

RainX + Bosch Microedge every year.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

More likely the wiper arm is bent from someone leaning on it. Pull on the middle and push in the end, just a bit, and see how much better it covers the entire window.

And I love using Rain-X as well. Great stuff, and lasts forever on the side and rear windows.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

With Google, I figured out that RainX is the wiper fluid, and Bosh Microedge is the wiper.

Searching more, I found that

carries them, andthey have a store in Ottawa. They said the "Bosch - Excelsior" is theBosch Microedge....

I called them for prices:

driver 20" 14.99 passenger 22" 13.99

Perhaps those two prices are swapped, I'm not sure.

They d But since then, I found that Canadian Tire stocks it, as does Walmart.

Thank you for the leads... I'm going shopping tomorrow.

Reply to
Dan Langille

Lots of good reports on Valeo from

and they are on sale I believe.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I just put a new Anco arm back there and it seems to work just fine.

The one it replaced had worn so much that the "top" of the wiper wasn't touching the glass anymore.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Actually RainX started life as a windshield treatment to make water bead up--probably what the poster was referring to in this context. In my own exerience it ends up clouding the hell out of everything eventually and then needing to be stripped, so I avoid it personally and opt to keep my windows clean and wipers in good shape.

Since their original product, I imagine RainX now also sell wiper fluid and such under that brand.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Keep buffing just like wax, it clears up and works great. So much so that at times you dont need your wipers on at all when at highway speeds as the rain just beads and rolls off. Pilots and mariners can't be wrong with using this stuff for years. What I've done lately is get the RainX washer fluid, mix it 50/50 with regular washing fluid to make it last longer and still works just as well.

Reply to
John

I agree with Todd on RainX, at least the bug-rated stuff I bought last summer. The cloudy smear wouldn't clear up between wiper strokes on medium and high. The worst part is that my '00 OB has such a huge wiper fluid tank that it took 3 months to get rid of it (I know.. I could have syphoned it out but I'm too lazy)

Reply to
nobody >

So if I understand you correctly, you apply it, after a while it'll cloud perhaps, then you just rebuff and it gets it back happy again? I might be willing to try it again if that was all that was missing.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Try a set of beam type blades such as the Valeo Ultimate blades or the Bosch Icons. They are much better than the standard blades, they maintain full contact with the windshield over their entire length and they also will last longer. Due to the one-piece design they also work well as winter blades.

Reply to
mulder

I got a phone call back from the distributors today. Yes, you put it on, let it dry, much like you do car wax. After two or three minutes, wipe off the film. Do half the windscreen at a time, then do the other half.

Make sure the window is very clean before applying. Wash it two or three times, etc...

I'll pick some up later today.

Reply to
Dan Langille

I've been using the stuff for several years, same climate as you, and I've never had clouding at all. Not even a hint of that. The windows I've treated seem clearer, and they definitely stay cleaner because the surface tension is so high. The way I know it's worn off is when I need to use the wipers...most of the time when the stuff is fresh they aren't needed at all, especially when I get past 35 mph.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

It could mean three things. Either it just needs more hard buffing. Or the wiper blades are worn or dirty. Or RainX was applied to a dirty windshield, in which case I would try stripping it, cleaning the windshield extremely well, and then reapply.

IMHO. YMMV.

Reply to
Ron N.

I have personally decided to avoid the RainX windshield washer fluid like the plague.

The stuff works awesome when going over 80km/hr. But it works absolutely terrible any less than that. The wipers move the water around, but the water just beads up in different patterns on the windshield and doesn't clear up. In early mornings when the sun is really low on the horizon, I find it actually quite dangerous. I would need to warm up my car for at least 10 minutes until the heat can clear up the windshield. Don't have the patience for that.

If I want a wax treatment for my windshield, I'll apply it and buff as per normal application of wax. I don't want to have to plan a buff job after every time I need to spray my windshield with washer fluid.

The reflex wiper blades are a bit better for maintaining contact on the windshield in icy conditions, but they are not miracle devices. After a year they suffer pretty much the same consequences as other wipers - no applying full contact to the windshield. At least they do better at keeping the middle portion clear, while hinged wipers would freeze up solid and clear the ends leaving the middle all messed up.

My $0.02.

Chico

Reply to
Chicobiker

I picked with three Bosch Microedge wipers today. They are good. Better than the Reflex wipers were, I think, when I first got them. Time will tell. I'm waiting for the next rainy day and I'll try them out (that should be tomorrow).

I also picked up the Rain-X today but have not applied it yet. I want to try the wipers first.

Reply to
Dan Langille

My experience with it was the beading made my visibility worse. I returned it to CTC and as you I simply keep my wiper blades in good shape and clean.

Reply to
who