Help with value of an old Subaru

Hi everyone. I recently bought a new Legacy GT and am trying to sell my 1993 Impreza LS but am having a hard time putting a price on it. Normally I would just look it up on Kelly Blue Book and be done with it but I have put a fair amount of work into it. Hopefully someone could give me some suggestions - what do you think a reasonable number would be?

Features from the factory:

- 1.8L boxer

- 5-speed manual transmission

- All wheel drive (not all Subarus were AWD in 1993)

- Power windows and locks

- A/C

- Cruise control

- Trunk and gas door open from inside

- Front driver side air bag

Added after purchase:

- 1998 RS front bumper with fog lights (bought new from Subaru, not aftermarket)

- 1998 RS rear spoiler (bought new from Subaru, not aftermarket)

- Front strut tower brace

- K&N air filter

- JVC MP3 CD player with 3 sets of 4-volt outputs for external amps

- Infinity Reference series speakers

- Dynamat Xtreme sound dampening

- Custom built subwoofer enclosure with 2 10" Infinity Kappa subwoofers and 760 watt Pioneer amp (not currently in the car but willing to sell)

- High-end car alarm with multiple sensors and two sirens (allows remote entry)

The car has just over 170,000 miles but mechanically it is very sound. It has always had the oil changed regularly and passes Colorado emissions testing without any trouble. A couple summers ago, I brought it in and had some major maintenance taken care of (replaced some dried engine seals and the rear struts) so I would expect it to be fairly trouble free for quite a while. The tires also have a very reasonable amount of tread left.

So, with all those features, the only thing that would give me doubts about the price of the car is the condition of the hood. There is a long (but fairly thin and unnoticeable) scratch on the hood and there is a dent where the paint has chipped away a little. I used touch-up paint from Subaru when it happened to try to seal it up a bit but it didn't work very well. It's not horrible but it's not exactly what you would want to see on a car either. Pictures of the car can be seen at

So, that's it. Any thoughts?

-Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

But it is now. And on kbb.com you should be able to specify that you have it for appraisal. I think 1993 is just about when FHI stopped making fwd cars. For the US market anyway.

These depend on the buyer. To me real spoiler would cancel out the addition of fog lights. But you might fine a rice kid for whom it will be a plus.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ increased wear and tear on the engine. I'd probably not buy something with K&N. But, then someone may not even open the filter case to check what's there.

Dynamat is low grade sound deadener:

But still might be a plus for an audiofile who does not want to spend hours applying this stuff himself.

Good luck selling it. Probably the buyers will lineup as the winter gets closer.

Reply to
Body Roll

My point was that it is a selling point, not that KBB wouldn't take that into account.

Obviously it's not my thing anymore either but that isn't the question. There is definitely a market for the 2.5 RS look so the question is how does the value of these additions compare to the defects that exist (ie: the hood.)

But it's sound deadener none the less and has eliminated pretty much all the raddles.

Does anyone ELSE have any input? :-)

Reply to
Brandon

I think the mods and the damage you list, on this age vehicle, might be a 'wash'. Of course, it may mean the car sells more quickly at the same price than similar vehicles, but you also may have limited your 'audience'. I think your best bet is a male college/HS student. The audio stuff is no positive for a retired couple or a secretary for instance.

I dunno, I just wouldn't expect the mods listed to help much.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I was kind of afriad of that. I am really hoping to get a little more out of it but I could see how that might be true. Thanks for the input Carl.

Reply to
Brandon

In my experience, unless you can find "just the right" buyer, these items won't add much, if anything to the value of the car. I'd advise that you pull the audio stuff (except for the Reference speakers; too much trouble to get at 'em) and put the OEM cassette back in. If you didn' keep it, find one at a scrap yard, or contact me and I'll see if I can't get one for you. Probably cost

I personally would give 1700 tops -- if everything like cv boots and fluid changes (were routine?) and good. rear end noisy yet? hows the struts? keep the radio. looks alone gave me a price to shout and for the impreza 1.8 liters. That year was the last 2wd EA82 (1.8L @ 38mpg )loyales as well (I absolutely loved that engine and 2wd 5spd -- my 93 Loyale is still passing the 2.2 automatics) So... if to find a loyale in equal shape for less money same year.. I would walk by your Impreza.

Reply to
BARRY DONOVAN