How much damage?

OK, so we're going to pick up some clothes at the cleaners. About a 1.5 mile trip, one way, if that. The wife is driving my new '04 Forester XT. Sunroof open. Windows down. About halfway to the destination, I hear this squealing. At first not sure what it is, where it's coming from. Then I realize: from my XT!! First time I've ever heard this. Thinking fast, panicking: what could this be? Then I check: the parking/emergency brake handle is still in the up position! She didn't relase the emergency brake!

So, the question is: what damage was done? What exactly does the emergency brake act upon? What was squealing? Can a Subie tech "out there" provide an authoritative answer?

Many thanks.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Typically, the e-brake is only on the rear tires. Check the full circumference of the tires. If the rear tires didn't roll, you may have worn a flat spot in the tires. If they did roll, you likely got some pretty hot rear brakes. Possibly glazed pads or warped rotors? I don't know the specifics of the rear brakes on your car.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

Probably little or no damage. What's done is done, shouldn't worry about it now. Continue to enjoy your new XT and keep it well maintained =)

The most you can do right now if you just want peace of mind is take it in for a rear brake inspection. It wouldn't hurt...it'll only cost a little $$ and some of your time...But most likely, little or no damage...

Reply to
ricardox

The parking brake is a small drum brake which uses the inside of the disc brake hub as the rotating friction surface. The parking brake lever doesn't actuate the rear disc pads.

You probably wore the linings of the parking brake shoes very badly, given that you *heard* before you noticed they were on.

You should have someone inspect your parking brakes, but it's unlikely to have affected the rear discs that are used when you press the brake pedal.

2 Stroke

Everything stu said is true. He meant rear brakes, not tires. You're an idiot al.

Emergency brakes operate the rear brakes.

If the brake was set tight enough the rear wheels will not spin and the tires will be worn flat on one spot.

If they were set somewhat lose, she was riding on the brakes and wore down the pads. This results in lots of friction, results in lots of heat. The heat can glaze the pads and can warp the rotors if the e-brake runs on rear discs.

Reply to
JaySee

Excessive heat can damage the wheel bearings and/or the oil seal.

Reply to
Clive

Baloney emergency brakes operate rear brakes not tires

If they did roll, you likely got some

Possibly glazed pads

you wont glaze the pads !!!

or warped rotors?