Interesting observation about ABS and 02 WRX

The ABS in the 2002 WRX is dangerous. I have one and it's effing Scary in the snow especially when you are going slow down a hill. You will NOT stop. I hear all the naysayers in here but they are wrong and probably don't own the car or are not used to ABS that actually works. The dealers say the ABS very sensitive. I like Subaru but it's going to take a massive lawsuit for them to wake up and FIX the problem. My WRX is going up for sale in 2 weeks as I'm moving. But I won't buy another. Supposedly the 2004 WRX has no ABS problems but Subaru should come clean and fix the sensitivity issue. if I slide into an intersection and get hit I would be phoning my lawyer and others to test the car.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

My Forester does that too. This is totally unsafe. I am tempted to disconnect the system. I may give NHTSA a call.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Well lets say it is designed to work that way. I can't believe the computer could not be programmed to detect a low speed or rpm, say 5 mph, and allow you to at least 'try' to stop the car by automatically disabling ABS. How relevant are ABS features when you are barely moving?

I'm not saying ABS doesn't have its advantages, I'm saying they have had a long time to perfect ABS, but they aren't there yet.

Subaru owner since 1990.

BoB

Reply to
BoB

Not so. I just had to try, so I took my WRX (with the ABS off) and found an appropriate patch of ice. Several hard stops from ~20MPH with the right tires on ice, and the left ones on wet pavement, the car stopped straight with no problems, only a slight pull to the left. I braked hard enuf to lock 'em up on one pass, in this instance the rear _did_ step out a bit, but lifting off of the brake snapped it back in line again. Guess I shoulda tried with the ABS on, but I didn't. Thought you'd like to know . . .

ByeBye! S.

Hi, That is why you can have traction control in addition to AWD and ABS. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bob,

Do you own a 2002-2003 WRX?

Steve Hansen, Lomita, CA

==========================

Reply to
2 Stroke

The interesting point here is the assumption that with ABS disconnected, and the subsequent total lock-up of the wheels, the driver would have had some sort of steering control.

This is totally UNTRUE. Loss of traction also means loss of steering... and loss of control.

The drivers best course of action would have been to let go the brakes, and try to steer away from the pile up, with controlled and gentle application of throttle. Alternatively, even with the wheels travelling at only 5mph, she could have simply selected reverse gear (with a small amount of gear crunching) and attempted to slow the car with the AWD system driving in reverse.

Not recommended at most times, but certainly cheaper than $4000 repair bill

Cheers Osiris

Reply to
Osiris

Had I been driving, I would have tried the emergency brake first and it was obviously not going to stop me, my next move would have been to try reverse.

I was riding through a downtown section back in the 60's, when the brakes totally failed on a Pontiac. There were pedestrians in the crosswalk shortly ahead and he did not hesitate to throw the automatic into reverse and hit the gas briefly. He managed to not hit 'park' and we stopped fast. We were amazed that it did not appear to damage a thing at about 25 mph on drive pavement. We crept a few blocks to the garage.

Reply to
BoB