Knocking noise

My 97 impreza(uk) has developed a very annoying knocking noisecoming from the rear, the only way I can describe this is like something rumbling in the boot.

Reply to
STUART MCCAW

If it appears related to speed, get it checked for a wheelbearing problem sooner rather than later. A loud wee-ing sound is typical when they're about to fail, but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes they can just explode when you hit a bump and all sorts of nastiness can occur including taking out your brake components. Anyhoo, that's one possible thing to check.

If the noise is more bump related, maybe it's time for new strut or shock (i'm not familiar with your car unfortunately).

That's about all I know off hand. Caveat: I'm a shadetree hack.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Have you noticed any missing relatives or neighbors recently?

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

Our 97 Impreza had a bad strut and strut mount and made such a noise. You can pop the insode covers off to check the strut mounts.

Bounce the rear of the car up and down hard and listen...

Reply to
Terry King