Lo-Range in Australia?

Subies of yesteryear in the U.S. used to have the lo-range 4wd and it was great. They did away with it after the dawn of the Legacy but I've heard other countries still have the option, is this true? If so why?

Mike

Reply to
Mike G

I can't exactly tell why Subaru does offer low-range in some countries and not in others, but I don't have to recite all the advantages (torque, matching revs when changing gears, mountain climbing etc..) and disadvantages (technique, weight, complications, price), but basically it's the need of the respective countries. We still have it in the current (^05 MY) legacys and imprezas and it's still great here in Switzerland...

cheers, Mike 2

"Mike G" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:K6qdnWWrY4e snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com...

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi

They probably figure that Americans don't use Subies for any kind of offroad. In Australia though, my 02 Forester XS loves going up and down the blue mountains, and some of the sealed 'roads' require it if you want to get anywhere on time. If you take the fun way, not the highway... Massive climbing angles and hairpins everywhere, low range does just fine - I've never got past second in high, and the car just doesn't have the torque for it. Low range, bucketloads of torque to get up, and sufficient engine braking on the way down.

-mark

Reply to
Mark H

The 2.0 litre manual, non-turbo Subaru models have it in the UK. I think the

2.5 and/or turbo models probably develop too much torque for the low range to cope with.
Reply to
Orienteer