motor dies on road: puzzled

Just got 87 GL wagon 4WD. 120 K original mi. Put 2K into it. runs a bit rough but coming up hill on gravel road it died. seems fuel starved. hooked tow strap on and dragged home, long way from a mechanic. could it be fuel filter? is there more than one? engine compartment or by fuel tank? gotta get it going. live in the boonies and am counting on this to get to the winter hiway. any help is appreciated much. I Love the car

Reply to
FarleyDan

Remove distributor cap and see if the rotor spins when the engine is cranked. No speed=one broken timing belt. Fuel filter is over by the master brake cylinder. basic tuneup will probably fix the rough running engine.

Reply to
johninKY

Normally there is a screen in the fuel tank and a fuel filter in the engine compartment. I have seen the tank screen (strainer) completely clogged before.

Is the fuel pump pressure up to specs?

Good luck

FarleyDan wrote:

Reply to