buying a 97 legacy sedan

Ok Subabru junkies, I'm considering buying a 97 Legacy sedan (L) wih 136k miles from the original owner that has the service history. Anything problems common for this car that I should look for at this age/mileage?

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

I have a 95. Problem I had was a significant noise in gearbox (which did not affect changing gears, more annoying). Seals in the driveshaft for the AWD systems was leaking. Brake work was somewhat expensive.

Friggin deadly in the snow.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

As we are about to turn over my step-son's old '95 legacy sedan to my 16yo son, and I live in the northeastern US, could you elaborate on that last part?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Deadly in what sense? My experience with Subaru AWD suggests that it is one of the safer options (bar dedicated snow tires).

DK

Reply to
DK

ITHM "deadly" as in deadly good.

Reply to
nobody >

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Hi Pete!

You didn't mention if AT/MT; the subaru AT's of that vintage chronically fail at 130-150K miles. I'm sure regular maintenance will extend this on out, but something to be aware of never the less.

The "L" has the 2.2L motor? These last a long time if given reasonable care. Has the 105K timing belt/idlers/water pump service been done?

Other than that, about the only thing that comes to mind is the front half-shafts, particularly the right one. Check the boots for cracks and weather-checking.

The MT Legacys with the 2.2 motor routinely drive right on past the

200K mark with only routine care.

ByeBye! S.