Outback "check engine lt"

Any of u had trouble with this? My mechanic(very experienced and conscientious) says code returned is "EGR", but all components check out ok. Also, my mileage has dropped off from

550km per tankful to 350 per tank! Plugs changed about 45,000km ago.

As an aside, I have replaced the clutch, transmission case, and viscous drive unit this year($$$$$$$$). Not to happy with this '98 model with 165K kms.

Dave

Reply to
Dustie

Did he check the EGR valve?

Reply to
Alan

No. Feel free to disregard the following if you aren't interested.

I took a quick look at the codes section of my manual. It looks like there is 3 possible fault codes for the EGR:

P0400 seems to indicate a general failure of the EGR system P0403 and P1421 seem to indicate an electrical failure. If this is the case, there may be a bad connector or a broken wire that would not get fixed by changing the EGR solenoid. The Subaru factory manual has good schematics for locating the fault.

A good mechanic may not be a good electronics tech, and that seems to be what's needed at times.

Sorry to hear that. Did they give you a reason why they failed?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If you gas mileage has dropped off, this could indicate a bad O2 sensor. My check engine light has been on for months and when it was checked, it was diagnosed as a bad O2 sensor. These sensors monitor the outbound emissions from the catalytic convertor. If the sensor is not working, then the computer forces the engine into a default mode which does not adjust the fuel mixture to suit driving needs, this can result in bad gas mileage. The reason I haven't fixed mine is because of the cost of the part, apparently the O2 sensor is around $300 CDN (I've found some after market ones for much cheaper though.)

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Garstin

Thank you all for taking the time to repond. I will pass the info along to my mechanic.

Incidently, I have spent $4200CDN on my Outback this year to repair the drive train (165K kms) and Subaru Canada told me that "all cars can expect to require minor and major repairs at some point". I am disappointed that this has occurred so soon.... In spite of the fact that I love the way my Outback handles the snow, my next AWD will not be a Subaru , I can't afford to do this again.

Cheers; Dave

Reply to
Dustie

Having survived the Subaru O2 sensor fiasco, during which Subaru changed manufactuerers of their O2 sensors and didn't have any in the states for about 6 weeks, a few years ago, I took out the extended factory warranty that SOA offers. And seeing as I had 3 02 sensors replaced before Subaru realized they had a programing error in their computer software that was processing the 02 sensor data incorrectly, which lead to a recall of about 4 years of cars, I have plenty of experience with this.

I think I've probably driven my car about a total of 4 months in the fuel-rich limp home mode.

2 weeks ago I had to have my catylitic converter replaced. Talking to the service manager at my dealership was interesting this week. I guess there are several of us with US Model Year 2000 cars, that have been having to have our catylitic converters replaced. Dumping that fuel rich mixture that is used in the limp home mode, tends to ruin them. It cost under $400 to fix that. The 02 sensors were ususally pretty cheap. Usually under $175 USD including labor.
Reply to
Aaron M