power window failure

The window at the driver's position will go down, but not up. The switch feels normal, but the glass won't go.

My friendly Subaru dealer wants to replace the window motor and the "controller." Cost: about $500.

I don't know what a controller is, but it seems to me that if the motor will lower the window, then the problem is not the motor. Should I replace the switch myself and see if that solves the problem? What would you do?

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Well, can you be certain it's the "controller", as your mech put it, and not the switch, before you drop so much for his best guess?

Do you hear the motor running, or at least hear the motor "bog" down when you have the switch in the up direction? If not, I would suspect the switch. The contacts in the switches do get corroded and can stand for cleaning after a while, but if they are as in my Impreza, best to just replace with a working switch, for I'm not sure I could dissect them without totally destroying the switch housing, defeating the purpose. If you hear the motor and are just not seeing any movement in the mechanism, it's probably the regulator / motor assembly.

If you are mechanically inclined, and it does turn out to be the "controller", perhaps a trip to a wrecking yard would pay off? $500 seems a bit steep to me, unless the parts for the job are the first $399.

When my driver's window quit going up and down on me, total cost for the repair was $17 to get the parts from the local yard, time on the message board here to pester the kind folks, and a coupla hours my time (I tend to work slowly.)

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Hi, Find a wiring diagram and trouble-shoot. what controller? It is relay logic.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Uncle Ben

When it is down and you activate the up switch - could you detect any 'dimming' of, say, the dome light? Or if at night, would the headlights dim when the switch is activated? If not, I'd expect the switch is bad. If there IS dimming - that may mean there is physical binding somewhere?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Because the motor works one way I know the motor is not the problem. My money is on the switch. Won't hurt to remove the door panel and just take a look at things. Slim possibility a shot of electrical contact cleaner could restore the switch as a temporary fix.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Switched the switch; problem solved!

Dealer denies that their diagnosis was wrong; says that motor had voltage, didn't respond. I don't want to be a cynic, but this is hard to swallow. There are other shops around; hmmm ------

Reply to
Uncle Ben

IIRC, there's voltage on the motor at all times, it's the ground that gets switched (like many circuits in Soobs).Bad mechanic!

Finding an independent shop sounds like a damned good idea. Post your area here, someone probably knows a close Subaru specialty shop or a 'general' shop that's at least Subaru literate.

Reply to
nobody >

I live in the "Capital District" of NY: Albany, Schenectay, Troy, etc. -- specifically Glenville. Any suggestions?

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben