Re: Does your manual gearshift return to center?

When I bought my 95 legacy in 2002, the gearshift wouldn't return to

> the center position. Every other car I've ever owned will return to a > point exactly in the center of the shift pattern--between third and > fourth. Mine will sit there if you put it there, or if you just pull > it out of second it will stay between first and second. I got used to > it and it doesn't bother me. > > However, at 190k miles the transmission was having problems staying in > fourth, and the syncros were slow on second and fifth. So I had a shop > replace the transmission with one out of a crashed car with 120k miles > on it to the tune of 2100 bucks. When I got it back I expected the > gear shift to be normal since I believe that this is an internally > gated transmission. It wasn't though. It behaved the same way. Now I > am at 233k Miles and I am starting to notice some reluctant shifts and > suspect that perhaps they just serviced the transmission, but didn't > actually replace it. So how many other people have a 'broken' shifter? > What are the odds that the other transmission out of a car with 120k > miles on it was also broken in the same way? > > Thank you for your input. > > Have a good one, > Bill

Perhaps it is just the way those transmissions are. Having never driven a manual-transmission Legacy, I can't comment. But it may just be a characteristic of the transmission.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58