Regarding the Baja -- Dealer must support parts for 10 years?

I can get an MY03 Subaru Baja for almost 2k under invoice now. The only thing that is stopping me is the possibility of needing a part for a vehicle that is no longer produced. The dealer says that the government forces manufacturers to support a vehicle for ten years after production has stopped.

Can anyone tell me if this is true? Does this include all parts? I know that most of the mechanicals are shared with other subarus -- so this is not a problem, but what about the parts that are unique to the baja (the tailgate for example)? I fear getting rear-ended a couple years down the road and not being able to make proper repairs.

Any guidance appreciated!

Dale

Reply to
DRM

Edward Hayes

How about negotiating for some spare parts in the purchase? A bumper and tailgate at their cost or something. If you decide you never need them I'm sure they'd be worth something on ebay - assuming you have storage space for them.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

DRM wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Did someone hear that production of the Baja is going to be stopped?

Reply to
Kar Klean

"Kar Klean" wrote in news:eWP0c.21$iE3.15368 @monger.newsread.com:

No. There hasn't been a single official report of this. Its speculation based on the lack of effort SOA is putting into marketing it and now, getting the Turbos to those who have been waiting for months now to receive them. They put a cap on production for this year, and yet they still can't even get them produced and to buyers for extended periods of time.

People have mearly speculated for the past 8 months or so that they'll drop the line. The MY05 Legacy's/OB's new facelift will be the telling sign of what is to come for the Baja. If they're going to invest the redesign including the Baja, then we can expect it to stick around for awhile.

Reply to
Jeremiah

I was back at the dealership today and may pick up my Baja tomorrow. Still debating -- kinda pissed me off today when I asked about the 0% financing and was told it was only 0% for 60 days.

Anyway, the salesguy says that Subaru is not stopping production of the Baja. Of course, he also told me that on the East coast, "All you see are Bajas". Right.

Dale

Reply to
DRM

"DRM" wrote in news:KLR0c.452162$na.1092261@attbi_s04:

Yeah i wouldn't listen to anything on the dealer level. Their only concern is to sell. I'd just focus on what SOA puts out for press releases.

Bajas all over the east coast LOLOLOL

I'm in MA, which is big scoobie country, and i seldomnly see another Baja on the road. I see at least 50 outbacks, but no Bajas. In fact i haven't seen a Turbo out on the road driving yet, only on dealer lots.

Reply to
Jeremiah

there are so few bajas on the road in NJ I'm not surprised theyre being axed. Plus theyre selling for 18,500 or so is also a clue. Subaru dropped the ball with the Baja- they only had a deluxe leather trimmed model alienating the college and younger set due to high cost. The rearr seat only holds two and the cost of a hard locking cargo cover puts the baja into Outbacck range. Great idea poor execution and marketing

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

Not to mention that the tailgate is so "heavy" to close. You'd think they put rocks in there.

Reply to
Xtranet

As an owner og one I have seen a lot more in the last week or so.

Reply to
Kar Klean