Replacing '99 Forester tail light

Hi, Can someone offer advise on replacing the tail light in my forester? I bought a used one, and have scraped off most of the black gunk. Do I need to get all of the black gunk off? Which solvent can I use? Any tips/ tricks to getting the broken light off of my car? Where can I buy new black gunk, and what exactly is it?

I don't want to end up with a fish pond in my trunk so I'd rather do it right. The first time.:cool:

Reply to
zumatech