Seat bell warning disabling: How?

I just got a new '07 Forester. The seat belt unfastened warning comes on as usual. Except it repeats every minute or so. It's driving me to distraction.

Yes, I do use my seat belt. I stated using them when my '66 Corvair came with one.

When I go to my town's recycling station, I have to park and move the car several times for each type of trash disposal. I leave the motor running, get out and dump my stuff. I then get in, drive about 40 feet and repeat. Speeds never get about 5MPH. But the damn dinger keeps going off as I, and no one else for that matter, don't bother with the seatbelt. If I can't find a subtle way of disabling the repeated dinging,, I'll just cut the damn wires to it.

Any suggestions?

Al

Reply to
Al

Interpersonally: Get older or get younger. If this is your most pressing problem today, go work with some folks less fortunate than you and get a grip on real problems. New Orleans is still one hell of a mess, for isntance.

Technically: I'll bet there's a wire pair going from your seat belt fastener that can be trivially modfied (shorted or opened) to simulate an "always fastened" state. Risk though is that any logic that modifies airbag deployment for an unbelted (e.g. stupid) occupant may be defeated.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Air bags are unneccesery anyway so who cares if they dont work. New Orleans is just an example of what the welfare state has created. Lazy criminals who expect someone else to take responsibility for them.

Reply to
bigjim

This is the a.a.subaru forum, right?

Jim

Todd H. wrote:

Reply to
jim

The routine listed at the site below worked for my wife's 03 Outback as well as my 06 WRX Sportwagon;

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Simply buckle and un-buckle the driver seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds after turning the key to accessories (motor off). Worked in my 07 Legacy.

Reply to
Al

And how much does it cost in pollution to restart it every few minutes?

Al

Reply to
Al

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out.

Al

Reply to
Al

I think it's funny that you're leaving the motor running at the recycling place. Gives the kids a mixed message, don't it?

Reply to
David

You're right about that. Years ago I had a co-worker who's young (3yrs. or so) daughter had a heart problem. Her surgery was unsuccessful and she later died.

At the time, my biggest problem was getting the wire wheels on my XKE balanced. I was single, of course.

I'm not a joiner, so I just help out with cash. I give a lot (relatively speaking as that varies according to your circumstances). Last donation was $10K to our town's library foundation for which my wife was a founding member. She does all the people work, I just pay the bills.

Yes, we have to supplement our town's library budget. Sad state of government, isn't it?

Al

Reply to
Al

Apparently, very little (less than the pollution produced by idling for

10 SECONDS). See
Jim Weisert

Apparently the school bus drivers, the semi drivers, the commuter locomotive engineers, and the .... haven't gotten the word. What I do once a week when I responsibly separate my trash is trivial compared to them.

Al

Reply to
Al

Tried it and it worked like a champ. I did the three cycle one.

I suppose this was developed for the mechanics who are working on your car so they don't go bonkers with all of the beeping in the shop.

Thanks again.

Al

Reply to
Al

Big difference.. those are all industrial diesel engines. The black smoke you see when one of these is started is not exactly environmentally friendly.

Reply to
nobody >

Al Aug 22, 2007 at 08:14 PM

Depending on how the belt deploys, easiest in these circumstances is probably get out, fasten it and just keep getting in and sitting oon yop of it 'til you finish, then go back to normal. Works in lots of things. Doesn't work in Saabs, Volvos or anything else that also has a pressure pad in the cushion.

Reply to
hippo