speedometer

My speedometer cable was broken and at the same time it broke, the "check engine" light illuminated.Now i have replaced the cable and the meter is working perfect but the "check engine" light keeps flashing (first is was steady). Does anyone have ideas how to reset the light. I could always remove the bulb but that is the last remedie.

regards, Jack

Reply to
W.J.Basten

I realize this is a far out concept, but how about taking the car to Autozone or a dealer and have them read the code? Seems strange that it would come on when the speedo cable broke, but a flashing CEL usually indicates a serious problem and is worth checking. Disabling the CEL would be analogous to taking the batteries out of your smoke detectors because the noise is annoying every time you have a little fire.{;-)

Reply to
George Adams

The CE light activated because the speedometer cable also powers the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The CE light if you do nothing about it should clear itself after a number of engine starts/stops. This is assumming it is now flashing because of the VSS failure.

Reply to
johninKY