How to find paint for my old car?

1992 Subaru Legacy L wagon

Generally I'd describe the color as gray. I found the paint code 249 atop the front driver-side strut tower on the plate there. According to Duplicolor's web site, 249 is "Liquid Silver Metal". However, when I tried to find their paint number, they say they don't carry that color. So I'm wondering how I'm supposed to paint my rusted out fender and hood that I'm replacing with used parts (but in better condition and also in a blue color). I figured on sanding down the replacement parts, especially the rusted spots, a bit of bondo to make for a smooth surface, prime, primer seal, and then paint - but I can't find the paint. The auto shops that I've stopped at all carried Duplicolor (yeah, those tiny palm-sized cans) but Duplicolor doesn't carry my color. Argh!

Reply to
ggkkbjkp

I've had good dealings with the folks at

YMMV. Likely that a good local auto paint shop could mix it up for you too.

Brent.

paintscratch.com at $2/oz. is WAY to pricey for me. I've checked with the dealer and an auto body shop and both say they can mix it but it won't be a perfect match due to aging of the rest of the car. So I figure to find a close match on the spray paint to use on the replacement fenders and hood and later get the whole car painted a very similar color (so there are no crevices or hidden spots of noticeably different color).

Reply to
Vanguard