Strange thing on floor 2001 Forester

I have a 2001 Forester and their is some knob looking thing on the floor right in front of the left seat bracket on the drivers seat. Its a small plastic thing sticking out of the carpet. I can't imagine what this could be!? My car is US Market.

Reply to
dnoyeB

It anchors the floor mat.

Reply to
myusenetacct

It anchors the floor mat.

Reply to
myusenetacct

It's used to fasten your floor mat in place--but it's better to get an actual set of metal brackets to do that, as it's known to rip out of the floor pretty easily: depending on the year of your vehicle, it's only attached to the carpeting, and not anything sturdier. The metal brackets can be screwed onto your seat's bolts and are much better to hold onto mats.

If you have rubber mats, there are two holes that need to be punched for the fastener(s) to fit properly in the mats.

Reply to
k. ote

Really? From what, theft?

Thats really quite odd.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Maybe from slipping forward so it gets caught up behind/around the pedals?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

I thought it was fairly common, 90 Nissan maxima, 95 Nissan maxima 96 Ford Windstar, etc. all had a similar mechanism.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

One reason is it keeps it from moving up in the peddle area.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

No, it keeps the mat from being squished up behind the gas and brake pedals by an over-anxious driver. Do you want to have to worry about a mat screwing around with your ability to push the go-pedals of your car?

Reply to
k. ote

Maybe. But this is my fourth car and none had this feature and the pads never slipped. There all cleated. But if thats what its for, thats what its for. I have new floormats but they dont seem to attach to this thing in any way.

Reply to
dnoyeB

It might be a matter of who the driver is. My floormats tend to stay pretty much in the same place, but my wife always seems to manage to kick hers forward somehow.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll