stripped oil plug

I just tried to change my oil for the first time since buying my 97 Outback in January....the oil plug is stripped and I couldn't get it out. I imagine that I will begin (or continue) slowly losing oil. I'll keep checking my level, but what is the best solution?

I've heard of rubber plugs, drilling a hole for a larger plug, and full oil pan replacement. I'd like to go for something cheap/effective, so the first two seem most appealing. I searched around for a little information but I was hoping for some Subaru-specific tips, or any general advice.

Thanks, Thomas

Reply to
thomashanno

Find a mechanic that can put a helicoil insert in and maybe consider putting a fumoto valve there 'permanently' to prevent any more stress on that part of the oil pan. Or get an oil pan from a junkyard.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I second the fumoto valve. No more oil plug to remove. Just turn the valve.

Reply to
Ragnar

Do either of you have fumoto valves?

Are these popular enough that I'm going to be able to find a mechanic who will install one?

Reply to
thomashanno

No, I just recommended one based on never actually seeing one or using one. Geez.

They use the same thread pattern and dimensions as the stock oil plug. If the mechanic can't screw in a bolt, he wouldn't be in business.

For more info, see:

Ragnar

I confess I do not have one. I don't put enough mileage on the cars to really justify making the oil change more convenient.(that is the primary reason folks use the Fumoto) It would come in handy for people who find themselves doing oil changes every 5-6 weeks, I do mine twice a year (at present). I have read of many people using them satisfactorily. To me, though, it seemed like a reasonable solution to your specific problem. If a decent mechanic could 'chase' the threads on your oil pan or use a thread repair insert, then insatll the Fumoto valve (perhaps useing a thread sealant/teflon tape) there would be no reason to ever apply any force to the area in the future.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan