Subaru cars not designed for downshifting?

Being conservative I wouldn't be buying a vehicle with only the power locks, without at least one manual key lock. Another problem I've had with some newer design rental cars is no way to lock the doors from inside the drivers door before closing it.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Hopefully there is another dealer near you, because you need one!

Reply to
Spam Hater

That's so you can't lock yourself out. It's an excellent feature in my view.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I agree with Tom. Preventing the driver's door from being locked before it is closed is a great feature that is designed to prevent people from locking their keys in the car by mistake. While you may not like this feature on your personal car, it is clear why rental car companies prefer it.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Double-clutching instead of rev-matching is apparently only useful to reduce weight transfer when racing with modern vehicles, and even then the difference between double-clutching and simple rev-matching is very, very slight (difficult to feel!)

Since rev-matching is easier anyway (requires fewer presses/depresses of the clutch) you should concentrate on that instead;

. Clutch down . Blip accelerator slightly (add another 1k or 1.5k to rpm) . Downshift after the blip . Clutch up, with foot just slightly on accelerator to maintain rpm

Doing this will allow you to downshift (easiest to do it one gear at a time until you're good) right to 2nd gear. On my STi, the only way I can downshift right to 1st is by doing a full double-clutch:

. Clutch down . Shift to neutral . Clutch up . Blip accelerator (add 1.5-2K (or more) to rpm) . Clutch down . Shift to 1st . Clutch up

... without doing the above, the shifter flat-out refuses to shift to 1st gear, which I suppose makes sense given the massive ratio difference between 1st and 2nd gears on my STi.

Reply to
k. ote